Summary: God is God in the midst of crisis
Intro: someone said to me this week, it only takes a second for the world to change. This week the world changed for the Barrett family, the Reese family, our youth group, our church and this community. People have suffered significant loss, for some the world seems to be spinning out of control. But in the midst of it all, there is a Changeless God for a Changing World
I. God is still God—Malachi 3:6—for I am the Lord, I change not—today in a changing world, one thing is still true, God has not changed.
· He is still Love—even though we don’t understand everything that happens in this world, we know that God is love. He loves us in our failures, he loves us when we hurt, he loves us when we die. He loves us so much that He gave His Son for us, redeemed us, saved us, and His love will last forever. Nothing can separate us from God’s love, neither life nor death
· God is still on the throne, God is in control- when our world turns upside down, and we don’t understand what’s going on, God is in control. Nothing happens that catches Him off guard, he knows our days, he knows our name.
II. Jesus is the Same—Hebrews 13:8 Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.
· Jesus is still victorious over sin, death, hell and the grave. He is the resurrection and the life, if we believe on him we shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
· Jesus is still at the right hand of the Father—He is exalted above all things. There is nothing that can happen to us, that God has not made a provision for us. The lamb has already been offered up.
· Jesus is Lord of all---no principality, no power, nothing is left undefeated. Jesus said, It is finished, He has set down to rest.
III. God promises do not change---Matthew 24:35—heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall never pass away
· In our changing world, God’s promises stand as a sure foundation. Every promise is yes and amen. What God said He will do, He will do. In the beginning the was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. God doesn’t separate Himself from His Word.
· Not one line, not one jot, not one period in God’s Word will ever change, till everything be fulfilled.
IV. Jesus isn’t going anywhere—Hebrews 13:5-I will never leave you or forsake you
· God is not just God of the mountaintop, He is God in the valley. God is closer to us in the trials of life, when we are in the fire or in the storm. He is ever present to help us in the times of trouble and in the times of need.
· He is a friend that sticks closer to us than a brother—Proverbs 18:24—Jesus is closer to us than anyone else. He is that friend above all friends.
V. Jesus will be their till the end of time---Matthew 28:20—I am with you always, even to the end of the world
· When it is all said and done, it will all be said and done—and Jesus will be there in victory and power and might and glory.
· We live in the here and now, Jesus is Alpha and Omega, beginning and end, first and last. In this changing world, we know the end of the book and we win.
· At the end of time, at the end of your life, Jesus will be there for you, to carry you, to comfort you.
Close: I’m anchored in Jesus