Summary: What are the characteristics of a godly man?
- liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."
- Yhrion is "a wild beast;" applied to men as a term of reproach, (1Co_15:32) it implies brutality, stupidity, unreasonableness, and, with the epithet kaka , mischief, like the French mechante bete.
I. A godly man must be skilled in sound doctrine (v. 1)
II. A godly man is sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. (v.5)
1. 2Ti_4:5 As for you, always be sober-minded
2. Dignified = honorable, worthy of respect
3. Physical - "No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize" (1 Cor. 9:27).
4. Sound in faith - "Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do" (James 2:17-18).
5. In love, I Cor 13, Women can tell how they will be treated by a potential husband by looking to see how the man treats his mother.
6. Should be sound and healthy in endurance – men who quit and give up easily are weak and have no discipline in their life. Quitting jobs, relationships, never really sticking to anything but wandering about aimlessly.
- No endurance means no direction, means no discipline.
III. A godly man is a submissive to authorities (vs.9-10)
- Respond to authorities in immediate obedience
- Well pleasing or fully agreeable
- Not divisive wanting always to present your own view
- Not a thief
- Showing loyalty to authorities and your Lord
Conclusion: We are not our own
- We owe it to God to be a godly mans because He bought us with His blood
- Godly men reflect our Lord