Summary: Davids describes the inner workings of a godly man.
MEM - Psalms 119:97-104
Every look at something that intrigues you and want to take it apart to see how it works, what the inside looks like, what makes it tick? Watch? Toy? Computer? Bose radio?
1) Dismantle the Apostle Paul - Daniel - Joseph(outside look like any other men but on the inside what did it look like?)
2) Godly people come in all images: men & women, short & tall, skinny & broad, various colors, rich & poor, high & low IQ BUT on the inside there is a consistently that seems to repeat itself regardless of the outside.
David gives us an inside look at a godly person. What is unique about them: FOUR QUESTIONS HE ANSWERS FOR US
1) What does a godly person love?
2) What does a godly person know?
3) What does a godly person do?
4) What does a godly person feel?
What does a godly person love? (97) O how I love Thy Law! It is my meditation all the day.
1. David had a passionate love affair going on in his life. What was the object of his affections?
LOVE: is the word ’Ahab’ which means a relationship of strong desire or passion.(I LOVE JESUS & I LOVE PIZZA, really two different words)
An ardent and vehement inclination of the mind and a tenderness of the affection at same time.
A strong emotional attatchment for and a desire to possess or be in the presense of the object of love.
a. Bibles states that Jacob ahabed Rachel’. Consider their story, What was he willing to do for her?(14 yrs or labor for laban)
b. When two people have a great ahab for one another what does their mind wander towards during the day? It is difficult to spend time with someone you ahab?
Gen 29:20 Jacob served seven years for Rachel and they seemed to him but a few days because of his ahab for her.
c. The relationship of a godly person with the Word of God is to be consistent with these qualities.
1) A passionate heart towards the Word of God
2) A wandering mind towards the Word of God it is my meditation all the day
3) A consistent walk with the Word of God: easy to spend time with
What does a godly person know? (98) Thy Commandments make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever mine. (99) I have more insight than all my teachers, for Thy testimonies are my meditation. (100) I understand more than the aged, because I have observed Thy precepts.
1. David describes Three Benefits from a life of meditation. He makes real life comparisions:
a. Wiser than an enemy:
1) Our enemies advantages over us can be many: financial, numerical, powerful positions, strong personality
2) Who in the Bible found themselves overmatched in an earthly sense by their enemy? David-Gideon-Joshua-Daniel
3) Teaches us that any so-called advantage is swallowed up in the face of God’s wisdom.
b. More insight than a learned:
1) Often intimidated by education & degrees. Our society is driven by such attitudes when what really matters is how much is that person is in tune with the One who created them.
STEDMAN: in relation to seeking staff position do not put academics before character. Look for a quality person with regards to their walk with Christ first and the skill level with follow with time. A so-called ’sharp’ person can often be so sharp that they cut up a lot of people in the church.
2) How would a statement such as verse 99 be used in counseling an 18 yr old student at a secular university? The Word of God contains more eternal truth than all the study courses combined which are based on human philosophical truths.
3) Your learning can be based either in truth or in the assumption of truth. Degree rooted in false philosophy is not true insight.
c. More understanding than the experienced:
1) David Vrs Saul/Paul before aged High Priest/
2) David is saying that the accumulation of years lived does not automatically add up to greater understanding and spiritual maturity. THE TRUTH KNOWN AND APPLIED PRODUCES WISDOM:
a) See people who have spent years on church roles but have very worldly opinions and attitudes.
b) See very godly older people who have consistently walked with God thru the years and become the greatest of resources for wisdom, understanding & counsel in the body of Christ.
What does a godly person do? (101) I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep Thy Word. (102) I have not turned aside from Thine ordinances, for Thou Thyself hast taught me.
1. A godly life is not only a focus on the good but an avoidance of the bad. Advantages gained by a disciplined walk with the Word must be maintained in life’s battles with sin.