Summary: Are we spending more time on things that at the end become meaningless? If the answer is yes, then according to Solomon, we are wind-chasers.
May 5, 2001
1. This is a movie about a group of scientists who spend most of their time studying storms, particular tornado, and how they are formed.
2. Two competing groups of scientists who main goal was to be in the eye of the storm.
3. These scientists are willing to risk their lives, driving as close as possible to the eye of the tornado, just to experience the power of these natural phenomena.
4. They would invest their money on equipments, etc.,
B. In most cases, we might not be aware, but we are like this group of scientists who spend most of our time, our energy, our resources, our talents, our priorities chasing storms. Maybe not storms, but winds.
A. Solomon’s Description of Wind-Chasers:
2. To engage in anything, at anytime, at any cost, that becomes meaningless at the end, Solomon considers this as chasing after the wind.
B. The question is—are you a wind chaser?
1. Do you find yourself spending more time on things that at the end become meaningless?
2. Do you find yourself toiling and working on things that at the end become meaningless?
3. Do you spend all your God-given talents on something that at the end become meaningless?
4. Do you find yourself tired and exhausted for God’s work because you have spent all your energy getting ahead in this life?
5. If we say yes to any of these questions, then we are chasing after the winds.
C. The Problem with Wind-Chasing:
1. You don’t know when the wind will blow
2. You don’t know which direction it is coming from.
3. You cannot see it, although you can feel it.
4. It does not matter how swift you run, or how fast you drive, or how high you fly, you cannot, you will never catch up with the wind.
D. Activities of Wind-Chasers:
a. University degree
b. Masters’ degree
c. Doctorate degree
a. Pleasures by going to parties
b. Pleasures by going to amusement parks
c. Pleasures by being in the company of the rich and the famous
d. Pleasures by being in a prestigious position
e. Medical Doctor
a. Advancement in technology
b. Advancement in sciences
c. Advancement in space exploration
d. Advancement in global cooperation
E. Conclusion of the Whole Matter
b. Apart from God, everything is meaningless
c. Apart from God, all our activities are spent chasing after the wind.
F. Putting God Into All Our Activities:
1. Hanging garden
2. Majestic edifice
3. Efficient water supply
4. Code of Hamurabi
B. Roman Empire
2. Efficient aqua duct