A. Read Rom. 6:6-14
B. "Are YOU an Instrument or an Ornament?"
C. Every day we must make choices; Choices that effect us and others in our lives.
D. God has made us "Free Moral Agents" in that He allows us the freedom to Choose.
E. With the Freedom of Choice also comes Responsibility!
F. We make choices that often affects us our entire lives; whether good or bad.
G. The older you get, the more important these choices become.
H. Somebody once said, "You know you’re getting older when….."
1. You bend over to pick something up & wonder if there is anything else you can get while you’re down there.
2. Your knees buckle, but your belt won’t.
3. Your back goes out more than you do.
4. You help a rather attractive but old gray-haired lady across the street, then you realize that she’s your wife! (oops!)
I. Paul stresses the importance of Choice in Rom. 6:12-13.
J. If we are truly born-again, then we must make Choices that affect
our Christian Testimony every day!
II. Purpose of Salvation
A. What is the Purpose of Salvation??? Too often we have the idea of what salvation is all about. We are so egotistical and self-centered. We think God owes us something!
B. Rom. 8:28 - "And we know that all things work…..who are called according to HIS Purpose!" Did YOU SEE Whose Purpose???
C. 1 Cor. 1:1 - "Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the Will of God…." Did YOU SEE Whose Will???
D. God has a Purpose & Will (aim; intent; objective; desired end) in the salvation of mankind.
E. It is true that God is longsuffering toward usward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance; However, God has a Purpose & Will that He desires accomplished through it.
F. Eph. 2:1-10 - READ
G. Did YOU SEE the Purpose??? vs. 7; 10
H. Salvation is for the Glory of God (vs. 7); We are to be His workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto GOOD WORKS (vs. 10).
I. Furthermore, we have been "CREATED (made; formed) & ORDAINED (blue-printed; poeima)" that we should walk in them.
J. The Choices we make as believers therefore have an affect on how God’s purpose of salvation in our lives is fulfilled.
III. Choices We Make in Our Lives
A. We Choose the Kind of Name We Have
1. Prov. 22:1 - "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches."
2. Discuss how choices affect reputation.
B. We Choose the People We Associate With
1. Heb. 11:24-25- Moses chose not to associate with the Pharaoh but rather to suffer the afflictions with the people of God than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season.
2. Discuss how some would rather go along with the crowd.
C. We Choose Whether to Be Saved or Not
1. Matt. 16:13- "Whom do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?"
2. Matt. 22:42- "What think ye of Christ?"
3. John 5:6- "Wilt thou be made whole?"
4. Salvation is personal!
D. We Also Choose Whom We Will Serve
1. Josh. 24:15 - "Choose you this day whom you will serve…as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
2. Paul teaches us that we should Choose to Be Instruments of Righteousness rather than Ornaments of Emptiness!!