Summary: Jesus Christ is the greatest revolutionary who ever lived. Jesus demands, not only personal revolution -- of our hearts, priorities, behavior, and words -- but also for us to bring revolution to the world around us!
CHRIST & WORLD REVOLUTION
2 Cor. 5:17
A. HUMOR: Fish and Chips
1. Lost on a rainy night in the north of England, a lady stumbled across a monastery and requested shelter there. Fortunately, she's just in time for dinner and was treated to the best fish and chips she’d ever tasted.
2. After dinner, she went into the kitchen to thank the chefs. She was met by 2 of the Brothers. The first one said, "Hello, I’m Brother Michael, and this is Brother Charles."
3. "I'm very pleased to meet you," replied the lady. "I just wanted to thank you for a wonderful dinner. The fish and chips were the best I've ever had. Out of curiosity, who cooked what?"
4. Brother Charles replied, "Well, I'm the fish Friar."
She turned to the other Brother and said, "Then you must be....?" "Yes, I'm afraid so -- I am the chip Monk."
B. I’M TALKING TO YOU ABOUT TRANSFORMATION
1. “One of the most dramatic examples of men and women being transformed occurred in the famous true story, “Mutiny on the Bounty.” The Bounty was a British ship in the 1790’s.
2. Following their rebellion against the notorious Captain Bligh, nine mutineers, along with the Tahitian men and women who accompanied them, found their way to Pitcairn Island, a tiny dot in the South Pacific only two miles long and a mile wide.
3. Ten years later, alcohol and fighting had left only one man alive—John Adams. Eleven women and 23 children made up the rest of the Island’s population.
4. So far this story is well known in book and motion picture. But the rest of the story is even more remarkable.
5. About this time, Adams came across the “Bounty’s” Bible in the bottom of an old chest. He began to read it, and the power of Jesus Christ reached into his murderous, hardened heart and changed his life forever.
6. Adams abandoned the old life of quarreling, brawling, and liquor. He became a new man of love, humility and service to Jesus Christ.
7. He began teaching the women & children the Bible until every person on the island had experienced the same amazing conversion he had found.
8. In 1808 the USS Topas discovered Pitcairn Island and found a Christian community with a church where all on the island were Christians and where Christ’s teachings were the pattern of their society. [Signs of the Times, August, 1988, p. 5.]
9. What could cause violent, immoral men, murderers, savages on an island to become humble, kind & respectful?
We’re going to look at the greatest revolutionary who ever lived. Jesus’ call for personal & world revolution.
I. JESUS CHRIST: REVOLUTIONARY
A. DEFINITION: “Revolution”
1. Action of a celestial body going around in an orbit.
2a. A sudden, radical or complete change.
b. A fundamental change in political organization, esp. the overthrow or renunciation of one gov’t/ ruler & the substitution of another by the governed.
1. a. American Revolution b. French Revolution
c. Computer/ Information Revolution