Summary: Christ can be seen in the wilderness tabernacle
I. The alter of sacrifice represents Jesus as our sacrifice (27:1-8)
A. Jesus was the Lamb of God
- Joh_1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
B. Jesus was the Lamb that was slaughtered for the sin of the world
- Act_8:32 Now the passage of the Scripture that he was reading was this: "Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter and like a lamb before its shearer is silent, so he opens not his mouth.
C. Jesus was the spotless Lamb
- 1Pe_1:19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.
D. Jesus was the Passover Lamb spoken of in the OT
- 1Co_5:7 Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.
II. The Laver of cleansing represents Christ as our sanctification (Exodus 30:18-21)
- 1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
A. Sanctification in salvation
- Psa 24:3-4 Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, …
B. Sanctification in setting apart for service for Christ
- 2Ti 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
C. Sanctification in maturity in Christ
- Jas_1:4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
III. The table of Shewbread represents Christ as our sustainer (Exodus 235:23-30)
- Col 1:17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
IV. The Golden Candlestick represents Christ as our light (Exodus 25:31-37)
A. Christ as the light Exodus 27:20-21
- Pure olive oil represents the pure light of Christ
- The light is pure because there is pure truth with no mixture of error.
- Joh_8:12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
- The alter of incense represents Christ as our supplication
- Rom 8:34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for
B. We are the light
- Joh_9:5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
- Mat_5:14 "You are the light of the world…..
A. The Mercy Seat represents Christ as our Satisfaction (Exodus 25:9-22)
A. He satisfies our sin debt Romans 3:23-25 Christ is the propitiation a direct reference to the Mercy Seat
B. He satisfies our thirst John 4:14 …whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
C. He satisfies our Hunger John 6:33 …For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."
- John 6:35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
1. In the OT God dwelt with man through the tabernacle
- It was made of wood, gold, linens, silver, animal skins etc.
2. In the NT God dwells with men and in men who are the tabernacle
- Rom_8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.
May we read about the tabernacle but may we see Jesus