Summary: The Bible talks about Christ in you, the hope of glory. What does that mean? And if we really believed that, how could it transform our lives?
CHRIST IN YOU, THE HOPE OF GLORY
“I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” (Colossians 1:24-27 (quickview) ).
• What does it mean that Christ is in us, the hope of glory?
• If we really believed this truth – how could it transform our lives and our community?
• Where is your God located? For many people, He is the God “out there.”
OVERVIEW OF THE OLD TESTAMENT:
• Mankind – God’s masterpiece was mankind, created in His image.
• The Fall – Adam and Eve disobeyed God when they gave in to the devil’s temptation.
• The Curse – for centuries, mankind lived in darkness and godlessness.
• Then throughout the rest of the Old Testament, God began revealing Himself to mankind through the law and the prophets, until we come to the New Testament.
• The Incarnation – then Jesus came on the scene to reveal God to us.
THE LIFE OF JESUS:
• Jesus’ inaugural address: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed.” (Luke 4:18 (quickview) ).
• God was revealing to people what God was like – “If you’ve seen me, you’ve seen the Father.” But it was almost too good to be true!
• However, after the death and resurrection of Jesus, the disciples were in hiding for 50 days! Nothing had changed yet. But something was about to change all of that…
THE BOOK OF ACTS:
“When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord* in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” (Acts 2:1-4 (quickview) ).