Summary: Paul shares his confidence in Christ, there would be little victory without the grace and strength of Gods provision
Christ our strength
10 ¶ But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity.
11. Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:
12. I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Paul shares with us his confidence in Christ. There would be little victory without the grace and strength of Gods provision.
Ps 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
1. Victory over circumstances
Verse 11: I leave it to others if they will, to be discontented. I, for my part, have learned, by the teaching of the Holy Spirit, and the dealings of Providence to be content in every state I have learned.
Though he was a Son, yet taught him obedience by the things which he suffered;
Paul was grateful for the Philippians for his ministry support when he was need but his real support was in the strength of the lord.
a. Hardships of Paul’s life/2 Cor. 11
• More in labors
• Strips above measure
• in prisons more frequently
• In death often
• 40 stripes minus 1
• Beaten 3 times with rods
• 3 times ship wretched
• In perils- water, robbers, wilderness, false brethren
2 Cor 11-27-29
After his troubles he asks, who is weak? I am not weak.
2 Cor 12:9
And he said unto me, my grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Hebrews writer says out of weakness made strong. Heb. 11:34
I have learned to be content:
Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
But godliness with contentment is great gain.
2. Adaptation to circumstances
Paul has learned to be Full and hungry. His strength comes from God as he adapts to circumstances. Knowing that God is in control:
How to be abased and abound
Abased- humble/ made low/ having little
Abound- abundance, increase, overflow
God has promised abundant grace, joy, power, supplies and entrance
10. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
2 Cor. 9:8
And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ: