Summary: Christmas reveals to us that God knows us and our problem, He loves us because we are precious to Him, and He saves us because heaven is where we ought to belong.
This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
Christmas was God’s idea. It has never been man’s invention.
• The coming of Jesus was God’s plan, with a purpose in mind, and you are the reason for it.
• The Bible not only reveals that God exists but that He knows you.
(1) GOD KNOWS YOU
God knows you, not that you know Him. We did not look for Him. He came looking for us in Jesus.
• Without Christ, that is, without Christmas, we will still be guessing today who God is.
• Why? Because God cannot be a projection of man’s imagination. The finite can never find the infinite.
• Man can never find God unless God chooses to reveal Himself.
And this is what He did at Christmas. God sent His Son. God came in Jesus Christ.
• Phil 2:6-7 says Jesus “6 who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.”
God knows you even before you know Him. And He knows your problem.
• You can hide from me, you can hide from your friends, but you cannot hide from God.
• You don’t need to. He knows you. He saw your need and He came for you. You are the reason for Christmas.
• You don’t have to look for Him, He has already come. He is just a prayer away. You just need to put your trust in Jesus and you will experience His presence and love.
A multinational company celebrated her 10th anniversary with a grand ballroom banquet. They invited the former president of the United States, President Gerald Ford.
The coordinator was excited to receive the President at the airport. He turned to his boss, standing beside him, and asked if he knew President Ford.
The boss was silent. After a short pause, he said, “Jimmy, the question is not 'Do I know President Ford?' but, rather, 'Does President Ford know me?'”
It doesn’t matter if we know the President, many people do. But if the President knows you, that is different. You feel honored, you are happy. Someone important knows you.
• Dear friends, God knows you. The Word of God tells us this very clearly and repeatedly, that God knows you.
• He tells Jeremiah, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.” (Jer 1:5)
• God is watching over you today. No matter where you are or what you are facing, you have to hold on to this truth – God is aware of your needs. Trust Him.
(2) GOD LOVES US
The stress in God’s Word goes beyond just God knowing you. The Bible says God loves you.
• Verse 10 says, “This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.”
• There is still a difference between just knowing you and loving you.