Summary: Evaluates what Christ was willing to sacrifice for us in the incarnation.
The First Christmas Exchange
“For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.” (2 Corinthians 8:9)
REFLECTION: One of the few downsides of the Holiday Season is the inevitable lines. There are lines to get to the store and the lines to check out. Perhaps the most challenging line is the line for the
“Return” of gifts that you don’t want. Many times people will return gifts that are impractical and “exchange” those for something that they truly want or need.
DIRECTION: Our text verse today reminds us of such an exchange. Satan and our Sin “purchased” for us a “gift” that would destroy us. Because of Christ’s “Grace” he offers us the opportunity to “exchange” our Sin for Salvation. In order to understand this “Grace” we must first understand:
1. HEAVEN “Though he was rich” Heaven is a place of wonderful:
A. PURITY Revelation 21:27
B. PEACE Rev. 22:1-4
1) Christ is the “Prince of Peace” Is. 9:6
2) He offers His Peace in the Problems of our world. (John 14:27)
3) Peace rules wherever Christ rules. (Phil 4:7; Col 3:15; 1 Th 5:23)
C. PROSPERITY Rev. 21:3-5; 9-27
1) His throne is surrounded by praise. Rev. 4:3
2) The 24 Elders (Representing the saints) praise him. Rev. 4:11
3) The Millions of Angels praise him. Rev 5:11-12
4) All Creation Praises him. Rev. 5:13 ; Rev. 19:1-8 (Psalm 150:6)
E. PERPETUAL PLEASURE: (Psa 16:11) "Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."
2. HELL “yet for your sakes he became poor”
A. EARTH WAS A HELL IN COMPARISON TO HEAVEN. Is. 53 He exchanged:
1) Purity for Pollution “The chastisement of our peace was upon him
…Make his soul an offering for sin” Vs 5, 10
(Imagine stepping from Heaven’s throne into a barn!)
2) Peace for Problems
“he hath borne our grief and carried our sorrows.” Vs 4
3) Prosperity for Poverty “root out of a dry ground…” Vs 2
(Mat 8:20) " but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head."
4) Praise for Public Ridicule “despised and rejected of men.” Vs 3
5) Pleasure for Pain: “he was wounded for our transgressions..yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him” Vs 5, 10
B. HE TOOK OUR HELL FOR US. (Eph. 4:8,9) (Heb 2:14,15)
(Rev 1:18) "I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death."
> Hell is a place of:
1) Separation (Mk 15:34) "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
2) Sorrow (Isa 53:4)
3) Desires that are never satisfied (Luke 16:24)
4) Darkness (Mat 22:13) "cast him into outer darkness..."
5) Torment (Luke 16:24) “I am tormented in this flame.”
6) Timelessness (Rev 14:11) "And the smoke of their torment ascended up for ever and they have no rest”