Summary: What must we do with God's name?
A. WHY LEARN CHRIST’S MANY NAMES?
1. As the basis of our salvation. “There is no other name under Heaven given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).
2. For more effective worship. “Hallowed (Holy) be Thy name” (Matt. 6:9). “Holy and reverend is his name” (Ps. 111:9, KJV).
3. To get answers to prayer. “And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do” (John 14:13).
JESUS’ NAME STANDS FOR ALL HE IS AND HAS DONE
• To pray in Jesus’ name is to claim the power of His blood.
• To pray in Jesus’ name is to go to the Father through His intercession (Heb. 7:24-25).
• To pray in Jesus’ name is to come through His perfection.
4. The basis for healing. “And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all” (Acts 3:16).
5. The basis of our spiritual warfare. “Paul . . . said to the spirit, ‘I command (demand) you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her’” (Acts 16:18). “May the name of the God of Jacob defend you” (Ps. 20:1).
6. The basis of our service. “Whatsoever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus” (Col. 3:17, KJV).
7. The basis of heaven’s rule. “That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth” (Phil. 2:10).
8. The basis of eternal life. “But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name” (John 20:31).
B. THE MAGNITUDE OF JESUS’ NAME
1. Jesus is His human name. “You . . . shall call His name Jesus” (Luke 1:37). It comes from the Hebrew, Joshua, “Jehovah is salvation.”
2. Christ is His cross name. The Greek title Christ comes from the Hebrew Messiah. It means anointed. “Messiah . . . who is called the Christ” (John 4:25). “Jesus who is called the Christ” (Matt. 1:16).
3. Lord is His name of deity. “The name of the Lord Jesus was magnified” (Acts 19:17).
C. WHAT IS EMPHASIZED?
1. His human name Jesus is emphasized in the gospels.
2. His Deity title Lord is emphasized in Acts.
3. His office position Christ is emphasized in the epistles.
D. WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN THREE NAMES ARE TOGETHER
The portion of His name that occurs first tells what is emphasized about Jesus in the verse.
1. Humanity – Jesus Christ the Lord. “. . . grace, mercy, and peace from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord” (1 Tim. 1:2).
2. Deity – Lord Jesus Christ, “Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the commandment of God our Savior and the Lord Jesus Christ, our hope” (1 Tim. 1:1).
3. His cross work – Christ Jesus our Lord, “And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry” (1 Tim. 1:12).
E. WHAT MUST WE DO WITH GOD’S NAME?
1. We must respect God’s name the way we live. “Carefully observe all the words of this law that are written in this book, that you may fear this glorious and awesome name, the Lord your God” (Deut. 28:58).
2. We must not curse with God’s name. “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain” (Deut. 5:11).
3. We must live separated live. “Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: ‘The Lord knows those who are His,’ and, ‘Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity’” (2 Tim. 2:19).
4. We must teach in Jesus’ name. “Teach in this (Jesus) name” (Acts 5:28).
5. We must suffer in Jesus’ name. “Counted worthy to suffer shame for His name” (Acts 5:41).
6. We get assurance. “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life” (1 John 5:13, NASB).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.