Summary: Sermon on Hebrews 10:19-25 - Chronicles of Koinonia.
Chronicles of Koinonia
- Why do we come to CG or church? Fun? Food? Friends? Fellowship?
- What does fellowship really mean?
- Koinonia = fellowship, communion, partnership, common
- in duties, ordinances, mutual interest, sufferings, glory
- Rick Warren, "It’s not just about believing; it’s about belonging."
- context/background (v.19-21)
1. Draw near to God in faith (v.22)
- 1st blessing: access to God (the Most Holy Place, heavenly sanctuary); curtain
- 2nd blessing: Christ’s rule over the church (priestly rule over the household of God)
- Heb 4:14-16 "draw near with confidence to the throne of grace"
- worship, prayer, devotion
- sprinkle our hearts with blood // 9:18-22 Moses sprinkle blood on people during ratification of old covenant at Sinai
- bodies washed: alludes to baptism, conversion (cleansing of heart and body)
2. Hold unswervingly to hope (v.23)
- maintain a firm confidence in the objective gift of salvation God has extended to the community on the basis of Christ’s priesthood and sacrifice
- calling for the community to remain stable and affirm its privileged status as the people who have been granted access to God through Christ
- He who promised is faithful // 6:18 "it is impossible for God to lie"
3. Spur & encourage toward love (v.24-25)
- distinguish us as a community
- Jn 13:35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another."
- good works: tangible expressions of caring love
- meeting together: it is the place or occasion for mutual encouragement and exhortation (3:13)
- habit: indifference and apathy (busy, burdened, bored)
- admonition: warning and reproof, given in a loving way
- Day approaching: judgement & salvation (9:27-28)
- draw near to God in faith
- hold unswervingly to hope
- spur and encourage toward love