Summary: The church is fueled by God's glory according to Ephesians 3.14-21. Within the church we have the manifestation of his presence and the magnification of his person.
Three people were arguing about what profession was used first in the bible. The Surgeon says, "The Medical profession was used first when God took a rib from Adam and made Eve. The Engineer says, "No, engineering was used first. Just think of the engineering job it took to create the world out of chaos." But the Politician says, "You would have nothing if we didn't create chaos in the beginning?" Politicians see themselves as people of power, but more likely, most Americans view them as creating chaos in our country. Power is not found in politics. THERE IS REAL POWER in JESUS!
a. Tohu V'Vohu (chaos -- without form and void) in the beginning
b. Tohu V'Vohu in the storm on Sea of Galilee
c. Tohu V'Vohu in the world because of our sinful choices
2. There is a God who sets things in order
a. In creation/Sea of Galilee
b. In our hearts -- Ecclesiastes 3.11 (Eternity in our hearts)
c. He is a God of Glory -- real glory, not our illusions
[Lesser things of creation do not give glory to greater -- hills to mountains; shrubs to redwoods; planets to sun; solar system to Galaxy; people to people -- glory is for God
3. The church is fueled by God's glory -- Ephesians 3.14-21
a. Within the church we have the manifestation of his presence
b. Within the church we have the magnification of his person
4. The focus of the glory of God
I. The Glory of God was Manifest in the Person of Jesus
A. A Proclamation of Creation -- Psalm 19.1
1. Universe shouts glory to its Creator
B. A Portrayal of a Glorious New Creation by Jesus -- John 1.14 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
1. DBR reaches to our past rejections and lovingly draws us to God -- This is GLORY!
2. Occasions of the Manifestation of His Presence:
a. Glory in Revealed Miracles -- John 2.11
11 This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him.
* In the culture of the Middle East, honor is of paramount importance. For this family to run out of wine, their honor and the honor of their village would be tarnished. Jesus restores their honor and removes their shame. This was part of his mission to us -- removing our shame and restoring our honor.
* Joel 3.16-18 -- mountains dripping with new wine
b. Glory in Revealed Suffering -- John 11.4 (News of Lazarus' illness)
"This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it."
c. Glory Revealed in Faith -- John 11.40
"Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?"
d. Glory Revealed in Christ's Prayers -- as in John 17
* In the Son -- 17.1
"Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you,
* Through the Church -- 17.20-26
* IF GOD IS NOT HERE, WHY ARE WE?
II. The Glory of God is Magnified in the People/Church of Jesus -- (Ephesians 3.20-21)
This is the only place God promised to reveal His glory -- not in social or civic clubs; not at sporting events; not at Political conventions -- the CHURCH
A. The Church is God's Plan to Do MORE -- 3.20-21
An American with an English gentleman was viewing the Niagara whirlpool rapids, when he said to his friend: "Come, and I'll show you the greatest unused power in the world." And taking him to the foot of Niagara Falls, "There," he said, "is the greatest unused power in the world!" "Ah, no, my brother, not so!" was the reply. "The greatest unused power in the world is the Holy Spirit of the living God."
1. God does not fit into our boxes -- able to do immeasurably more than we can imagine
2. The metric of measurement is GOD'S ability, not ours
3. The Church is a place to see and declare the glory of God
4. Again, if he is not here, why are we?
B. The Church is God's Passion in Jesus -- Ephesians 5.1-2
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. [Husbands love wives -- v.25