Summary: This is the 4th sermon in the series "Closet Christianity".
Series: Closet Christianity [#4]
CLEAN SWEEP: ORGANIZING
We have inventoried our closets, emptied and cleaned our closets, and have sorted our closets into 3 piles: A trash pile, a give-away pile, and a keep pile. Hopefully you have began to throw your trash pile away and have began to give-away those things that fit other people, the battles to God, and the victories to God.
Once again... “Let’s take a good look at the way we’re living and reorder our lives under GOD.” (Lamentations 3:40 MSG) This morning we are going to organize our “keep pile”. Although we are keeping all these things that we are going to use in our lives, we can’t just throw it all back in there (that would defeat the purpose). Remember with me from last week that David had to defeat several giants before he ever got to Goliath. Now, we come to the part of our text that David is going to take action against Goliath. The 1st thing in your keep pile that you want to put back into your life is…
Your God Given Responsibilities
1 Samuel 17:32-37 (MSG)
"Master," said David, "don’t give up hope. I’m ready to go and fight this Philistine." Saul answered David, "You can’t go and fight this Philistine. You’re too young and inexperienced — and he’s been at this fighting business since before you were born." David said, "I’ve been a shepherd, tending sheep for my father. Whenever a lion or bear came and took a lamb from the flock, I’d go after it, knock it down, and rescue the lamb. If it turned on me, I’d grab it by the throat, wring its neck, and kill it. Lion or bear, it made no difference — I killed it. And I’ll do the same to this Philistine pig who is taunting the troops of God-Alive. GOD, who delivered me from the teeth of the lion and the claws of the bear, will deliver me from this Philistine." Saul said, "Go. And GOD help you!"
If God is sending you:
1. Don’t delay.
2. Don’t be “talked down” by others.
3. Don’t forget how God has given you victory in the past. Use past victories to remind you of God’s faithfulness. Remember, not just the battle is God’s, but the credit also.
The 2nd thing from your keep pile that you need to put back into your life is…
Your God Given Gifts
1 Samuel 17:45-47 (MSG)
“David answered, "You come at me with sword and spear and battle-ax. I come at you in the name of GOD-of-the-Angel-Armies, the God of Israel’s troops, whom you curse and mock. This very day GOD is handing you over to me. I’m about to kill you, cut off your head, and serve up your body and the bodies of your Philistine buddies to the crows and coyotes. The whole earth will know that there’s an extraordinary God in Israel. And everyone gathered here will learn that GOD doesn’t save by means of sword or spear. The battle belongs to GOD — he’s handing you to us on a platter!"
God has given each of us special gifts from Him. He gives us gifts of the Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:4-7 (NLT)
“Now there are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but it is the same Holy Spirit who is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service in the church, but it is the same Lord we are serving. There are different ways God works in our lives, but it is the same God who does the work through all of us. A spiritual gift is given to each of us as a means of helping the entire church.”
1. The source of your gifts. There is no part of you that could ever get it right on your own. Your spiritual gifts are from God.
2. The purpose of your gifts. Your spiritual gifts are not for you, but for service of the Lord.
3. To use your gifts. Just because you know that you have some spiritual gifts means nothing. Many people do not even know what there spiritual gifts are. Let me assure you, everyone person at the moment they are “born again” are given spiritual gifts, no exceptions. If you don’t know what it is, why not find out? You may be saying, “How do I do that”? You need to begin by asking God to reveal that to you and I have found that He almost always does that by putting you in situations that you can use those gifts. Once you begin to use those gifts, God will teach you how to use those gifts. “Practice makes perfect.”
For a list of spiritual gifts, you need to read Romans 12:6-8; 1 Corinthians 12:8-10; and 1 Corinthians 12:28. You could have more than 1 gift, but you won’t have them all- it’s up to God to how many you have.