Summary: I. The Aim II. The Approach III. The Adventure IV. The Attainment V. The Application
- Tallest mountain in WV
- Height 4,863 ft., .9 miles above sea level
- 5 mile drive to the top
- Half mile handicap trail along it’s rim
- You can see about 50 miles
- Just need an afternoon to enjoy the trip
- Tallest mountain in the world
- Height: 29,028 feet, or 5 ½ miles above sea level.
- You need to allow 10 weeks according to Berg climbing group
- Cost to climb $26,000-$65,000
- You can see over 200 miles.
- 4,000 people have attempted to climb it
- 660 people have successfully climbed Mt. Everest:
- 142 people have died trying to climb Mt. Everest:
- YouTube gives you a virtual conquest of the summit in 1:35
- We want an easy climb with little effort, or cost
- Others who have climbed
- Ge. 22:2 - Mount Moriah was where Abraham took his son
• There God provided a ram
• Later called Mt. Zion the site of the temple
• Mt. Zion meaning Defense, Fortress, Protection
• Ps 132:13-14 Where God dwelt
- Ex 343:29 - Mt. Sinai – Moses receives the law & his face shone
- De 34:1, 4 - Mt. Pisgah Moses sees the land
- Mt 17;1-7 - Jesus is transfigured
- Jn 19:17 - Golgotha, (Aramaic is used in NIV, ESV, NET), meaning mount of execution
- Mt. 28:16-20 – Jesus give the Great commission
Jer. 3:6 – Mountains used for idolatrous worship
Psalm 22 we have the Lord's sorrowful descent to man.
Psalm 24 is man's climb to the Lord.
I. The Aim.
v. 3 - "The hill of the Lord... His holy place."
- Jesus climbed the mount & mounted the cross to make a way
- The highest ambition of the soul should be the fellowship of God
- The aim is His glory
II. The Approach.
v.3 - "Who shall ascend?"
- The way of sin and impurity is downward
- The way of holiness is ever upward.
- No one can climb this hill without having their lives changed
III. The Adventure.
v. 4 - Four commitments of this hill-climber are given:
1. His HANDS must be clean. "He that hath clean hands."
Isaiah 55:7 (AV)
7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
- The laver stood outside the door of the tabernacle, at which the
approaching priest must wash his hands.
2. His HEART must be pure
- Holiness has to do with the heart,
- Without holiness no man shall see the Lord
Matthew 5:8 (AV)
8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Romans 10:10 (AV)
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
3. His SOUL must be humble.
"Who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity. "
- When pride, gets into the soul, this is the end to growth
- 1 Pe 5:5 …. be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud,
and giveth grace to the humble.
- My only motive is to be submissive to the the will of God
4. His WORDS must be true
“nor sworn deceitfully”
Deceit ,lies, exaggeration & boasting
- Satan Ge. 3;5 - The first lie brought us into bondage of sin