Summary: CLIMBING OUT OF THE CAVE:
1 Samuel 21 (quickview) :- 22:1-4 CLIMBING OUT OF THE CAVE: (a) David's Fear 10 And David arose, and fled that day for fear of Saul, and went to Achish the king of Gath. (b) David's Fast 3 Now therefore what is under thine hand? give me five loaves of bread in mine hand, or what there is present. (c) David's Faint 13 And he changed his behaviour before them, and feigned himself mad in their hands, and scrabbled on the doors of the gate, and let his spittle fall down upon his beard. David was Dejected, Discouraged, and Deserted. I. THE REALITIES OF THE CAVE v. 1 David therefore departed thence, and escaped to the cave Adullam: A. The Reality Of Sorrow – David has been brought to the absolute bottom of life! Job 14:1 (quickview) Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. Job 5:7 (quickview) Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward. B. The Reality Of Suffering – God allowed David to come to this cave, that he might learn not to lean on the props of family, friends, finances, fame, the flesh or the future. David was taught, through his sufferings, to wholly lean upon the Lord. 1. God uses problems to DIRECT.
2. God uses problems to INSPECT. People are like tea bags...if you want to know what’s inside them, just drop them into hot water! James 1:2-3 (quickview)  My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
3. God uses problems to CORRECT. Psalm 119:71 (quickview)  It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes. 72 The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.
4. God uses problems to PROTECT. Genesis 50:20 (quickview)  But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive. (Joseph)
5. God uses problems to PERFECT. God is far more interested in your character than your comfort. Romans 5:3-4 (quickview)  And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope: C. The Reality Of Separation – David has been cut off from his family, his friends and his followers. He is in a place that prevents fellowship with others. David was brought to the place where he had nothing and no one but the Lord David alone in the cave; Jacob was alone in his tent; Elijah alone by the brook; Moses alone in the desert; Jesus alone in the agony of Gethsemane and Calvary. There are lessons that are learned in the dark that cannot be learned in the light. Psa. 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. II. THE REVELATIONS OF THE CAVE v. 1-4 A. The Revelation Of His Call – and when his brethren and all his father’s house heard it, they went down thither to him. (1) The Arrangements For His Leadership - 22:1 David therefore departed thence, and escaped to the cave Adullam:
(2) The Allegiance To His Leadership - 22:1 and when his brethren and all his father’s house heard it, they went down thither to him