Summary: Misc truths gleaned from chapters 6 & 7
CLOSING THOUGHTS ON ESTHER
1. THE DANGER OF SELF PROMOTION Ch 6-7
A. Oppressed 5:12
1. Want Everyone to Think the same about you
a. Coming Out of Queen’s Banquet – King/him
b. 100’s bowed & he only saw one that didn’t
2. If anyone -saying anything -must be about me
a. Preach & person says “talking about me”
b. If I am I will say so – HS touching conscience
c. If you are right why does it matter what is said?
B. Possessed 6:6
1. No one deserves more than you
a. Haman would never have recommended – else
b. It was Ok since it was for him!!!
2. Think you are above the rules 6:7-9
a. Only a King could condemn – yet had gallows
b. Royal Clothes = royalty
i. –wear Kings robes/horse/crown
ii. Anyone else >treason; He was special!!!
C. Dispossessed 6:10-13; 7:9-10
1. Thots of being 2nd in Command to a stable boy
a. beneath his dignity – alright for anyone but him
2. Crowing & Strutting to Wailing and slinking
3. V. 13 Rats always leave a sinking ship!!!
a. compare with 5:14
Then said Zeresh his wife and all his friends unto him, Let a gallows be made of fifty cubits high, and to morrow speak you unto the king that Mordecai may be hanged thereon: then go you in merrily with the king unto the banquet. And the thing pleased Haman; and he caused the gallows to be made.
4. 7:9-10 Not only Lost his cool, lost his head
Prov. 15:25 The LORD will destroy the house of the proud:
Proverbs 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.
2. DISCRETION OF DECISION MAKING Ch 7
A. Listen to the Problem 1-4
1. Queen was in Danger
2. King would be in Danger
B. Ask for Clarification 5-6
1. Probably looked at Haman in disbelief
2. Who would even dare to think of such a thing?
3. adversary – enemy – wicked –Haman
a. outed the one causing the problem
b. Proverbs 28:1 The wicked flee when no man pursues: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
C. Think before You Act 7-8
1. Often times 1st reaction is the wrong reaction
2. be sure action corresponds to the problem
3. Consider consequences; if it was you;
D. Listen to You Advisers 9
1. Listen but don’t lean –
a. your decision should be just that “yours”
2. Consider their involvement
3. hear good advice tell them you appreciate it
4. never, never say I decided because Joe said
E. Act with Due Swiftness 9c–10
1. Delay could have encouraged rebellion
2. Don’t talk about what you are going to do
JUST DO IT!!!
3. THE DILIGENCE OF SERVANTHOOD
(1) Committed –
a. 11 TIMES AT THE KINGS GATE
a. showing great care, attention & industriousness in carrying out a task or role
(3) Contentment v. 12