Summary: Calling God’s people to the excitement of boarding the Wor-Ship for the cruise of life time. As Isaiah worshiped the Lord, so let us worship Him and experience the Lord on this journey in life.
Come Aboard the USS Wor – Ship
A. I know that several in our congregation served in the United States Armed Forces (name them – ask for others). At a time in our history where we have the possibility of going to war with Iraq, it is good to remember and reflect on those who have served in previous wars as well as those who are currently serving.
B. I served in the US Navy for 6 years. I was on the USS Ranger – an Aircraft carrier. Now in the Navy you don’t say “boat” you call them “Ship.” Now an Aircraft Carrier is a huge ship. About 1100 feet long; 200 feet wide – 80-90 feet above the water – 90 airplanes on board – 5000 men – yet the ship doesn’t haven’t guns – it did have 1 missile launcher. Now even in peace time you can be sure that there are at least 2 Aircraft Carriers around the world with their task force – 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, - 365 days a year.
C. Today I want to talk about a Ship – not a Naval Ship but an important Ship for every Christian and Church. I want to talk about WORSHIP!
- Individual Worship
- Corporate Worship – God’s people – Heb. 10:25
- Worship is an Attitude
- Worship is Action
- Worship in Spirit and Truth, John 4:24
- Worship Preferences
- Scripture teaches all kinds of aspects to our Worshiping God: Rev. 4:6 – The 4 Living Creatures are constantly saying “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord Almighty who was, and is, and is to come.”
- Dedication of the Wall by Nehimiah; Prayer, sacrifices, tithes, Scripture read, Rejoicing.
- 2Chron. 7 – Dedication of the Temple
- 1Chron. 15-16; Singers, Choirs, trumpets, cymbals, lyres, harps, sacrifices, shouts of joy, Scripture Read, prayer.
- Purpose of Worship = Connect with God. So what do we learn about Worship from Isaiah? Approx. 806BC Uzziah began his reign of 16 years. Here, he has just died as Isaiah connects with God.
A. Worship helps us SEE GOD, vs. 1-3, 5
- Ps. 145:3; Great is the Lord…
- Ps. 29:2; Give unto the Lord the glory due his Name…
B. Worship helps us to SEE OURSELVES, and need for God. Vs. 5-7
- We don’t like this part of Worship.
- St. Augustine; “Before God can deliver us from ourselves we must undeceive ourselves.”
C. Worship helps to Transform us to live for the Lord,vs8
- even beyond what we normally think we can do.
- Luke 4:8; Jesus says – “get behind satan for it is written, You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you should serve.”
- Fire, a symbol of purification.
- Spurgeon, “when a man’s lips have felt the sacrificial flame, he is bold to go upon the Lord’s errands, though it were to the world’s end.”
A. When you come to board the USS Ranger you have to have a special ID card or Orders to come on deck. The USS Worship everyone is invited and free to come on board.
- Through Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord, you have access to the very throne of God.
B. Worship is to be a major part of every Christian’s life and for every Church. He. 10:25; Let us not give up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing but let us encourage one another and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
- James 4:8; Come near to God and He will come near to you.
- Worship is about Connecting with God – the creator of the all the Universe wants to meet with you.
- Are you committed to Worshiping the Lord regaularly?
- When you come to church are you really coming to WORSHIP? If you are, then you will see God, see yourself and your need for God, and be transformed to live for the Lord when you leave the church building!
C. Come Aboard the USS Worship! You won’t be disappointed as you Connect with God!