Summary: Four Words that help us come alive in Christ 1. Courage, 2. Confidence, 3. Commmunication 4. Companionship
Sun. Oct. 24/93 Jn.10:1-10
Read John 10:1-10
What is it that Christ gives us ? <--- LIFE
What do I have as a saved person? <---
We don’t know what that life means.
- Paul’s salutation in every letter tells us what is ours --- Grace & Peace
- Only to Timothy & Titus does he add another word ---> Mercy
- ex. Gal.1:3
- For what purpose? -- Gal.1:4
- They forgot what Christ had given them
- And what they had as a saved person
- Gal. 1:6
- Jer. 2:12
Be astonished, O ye heavens, at this, and be horribly afraid, be ye very desolate, saith the LORD.
For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.
Compound - To put together
- To mix or combine
Co-pilot:- The assistiant pilot of an airplaned who aids or relieves.
--- Co --- Meaning together with Joint
4 of these Co words
1. Courage, 2. Confidence, 3. Commmunication
1st Co Word - COURAGE
[Let your] conversation be without covetousness;and be content with such things as ye have: for he
hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
So that we may boldly say, The Lord [is] my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
- Moses knew about that promise when he went back to face Pharaoh
Ex.7:16 (let my people go)
- Gideon discovered it when in a wine press
- Jud. 6:14
(go this in thy might, and thou shalt save Israel from the hand of the Midianities)
- David knew of courage when facing Goliath
- I Sam. 17:45
Thou comest to me with a sword and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts
- Men in the firery furance
- Dan. 3:18
... be it known onto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
- So when fear strikes what do we do?
-In the West Indies during the time of sailing ships 5 ships were anchored in harbor when a fierce storm broke upon them. The captin of the British ship raised anchor and set sail into the mounting storm.Two days later, battered and bruised, but still afloat and intact, he came back to the harbor. In the calm that hovered over the now still waters he surveyed the scene and found that the other four ships that had not weighed anchor for fear of the storm had been driven onto the shore and destroyed.
- There is only way to conquer fear and that is to face it
- We all need courage
- What storm is now howling & therating your life?
- Think for a moment how you would act if you were exercising Christ’s COME-ALIVE-POWER
- Now boldly weigh anchor and set sail into that storm with Heb. 13:6
- Courage is the compond with Christ
2nd Co Word -- CONFIDENCE
John Dryden - For they conquer who believe they can
John R. Rice - Never put a question mark where God has put a period.
- It was confidence that Ab. had when he left his home only on the promise of the word of God
- Amp. Heb. 11:10
Ab. was waiting expectantly and confidently, looking forward to the city which has fixed and
firm foundation, whose Architect and Builder is God.
- Confidence eliminates the anxiety that comes from irresponsible liberty.
- N.A. is one of the most anxiety-plagued societies in history
-This rise in anxiety comes in a period of time that we have, supposedly, more total freedom and liberty than ever before.
- The study of chilldren and playground fences
- When Christ comes into our lives their are new fences
- I now say I will be true to God.
- This gives me Confidence because now I have no hidden dark secrets tha I try to keep under wraps
- Confidence not because of me but because of Christ.
3rd Co Word -- COMMUNICATION
- Christ love for us restores communication
- Think of it -- To talk with God
- A broken relationship severs comunication
And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of thegarden.
And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
- A little girl was punished for misbehaving by her daddy. in tears she runs to her room Her daddy comes looking for her and finds her huddled under the blankets cuddling her dolly. He strokes her hair and tells her that he gave her the spanking because he loves her. With tears still wet on her face she drops her dolly and hugs her daddy.