Summary: In the Gospel of John, we are invited to “come and see” what Jesus is like. John reveals Jesus to us through His seven “I am” claims, seven miracles, and seven sermons.
COME AND SEE #1: JESUS IS… THE WORD
JOKE: A hunter walking through the jungle found a huge dead elephant with a pigmy standing beside it. Amazed, he asked: "Did you kill that?" The pigmy said, "Yes." The hunter asked, "How could a little guy like you kill a huge beast like that?" "I killed it with my club." The astonished hunter asked, "How big is your club?" The pigmy replied, "There's about 60 of us."
INTRO TO THE AUTHOR JOHN:
• He and his brother James and father Zebedee had a fishing business.
• One of the 12 disciples, also part of the inner circle of three with James and Peter.
• He was the beloved disciple, the one whom Jesus loved. He was an amazing pastor.
• When Jesus died on the Cross, He asked John to take care of His mother Mary.
• He wrote five books of the New Testament: John, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John & Revelation.
• He was the only one of the 11 faithful disciples who wasn’t martyred for his faith (though not for lack of trying on the part of the Romans – boiling him in oil).
• He was exiled to Patmos where Jesus gave him the Revelation.
• Not to be confused with John the Baptist who came to prepare the way for Jesus.
INTRO TO THE GOSPEL OF JOHN:
• In the New Testament, there are four Gospels – accounts of the life of Jesus.
• Matthew wrote to the Jews, Mark wrote to the Romans, and Luke wrote to the Greeks.
• John’s Purpose: “And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.” (John 20:30-31 (quickview) ).
o 1. Who Jesus is and how to know Him more (Christ, Son of God).
o 2. How you can experience abundant life through believing in Jesus today.
• We see this in John’s seven “I am” claims of Jesus, seven miracles, and seven sermons.
THE SEVEN I AM CLAIMS OF JESUS:
5. “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live” (John 11:25 (quickview) ). Jesus is the one who raises us from the dead. (From the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead – we will have a Healing Service this week!)