Summary: We are not only saved by faith, we are comforted by faith, motivated by faith, and anticipate God’s glorious presence by faith.
Comfort My People
1. My view: one Isaiah, this written before 680 BC.
2. Many of our most important NT teachings find their origin in these chapters.
3. Isaiah’s times [Rise of Assyria]
4. The first part of Isaiah has a variety of themes, but heavy on judgment.
5. Latter part has a variety of themes, but heavy on God’s promised blessings.
Main Idea: We are not only saved by faith, we are comforted by faith, motivated by faith, and anticipate God’s glorious presence by faith.
I. Comfort: RESOLUTION Awaits By Faith (1-2)
We are a hurting people in a hurting world. We need to know that one day, things will change dramatically on this planet!
A. Social Peace: No more WAR
• Some of you have family in Afghanistan right now; others have seen war
• War is a symptom of the reign of sin
B. Personal Peace: No more GUILT
• I wonder how many drunks and druggies we would have if people were not burdened by guilt --- some of it false guilt, some of it deserved guilt?
• God made our consciences to pain us when we do wrong…
C. Spiritual Peace: ATONEMENT made
1. Earthly atonement for earthly blessings
2. Spiritual atonement to costly for mortals to make
“To this day, when a leading rabbi dies, it is quite common for mourners to say, ‘May his death serve as an atonement for us!’” [Michael Brown, Jewish Objections to Jesus, Volume II, p. 160]
for the ransom of his life is costlyand can never suffice, that he should live on forever and never see the pit.”
D. Four FULFILLMENTS at least
1. The return of the Jews under CYRUS?
2. The first coming of JESUS
3. Our personal CONVERSION
4. Most literal: Jesus’ SECOND coming
E. God’s peace that passes all understanding is our PREVIEW (Phil. 4:4-8)
II. Motivation: We PREPARE the Way By Faith (3-4)
We are a stubborn people who prefer to maintain our habits, ways, and approaches to living life; we need to be invaded by repentance & we need to help others repent.
A. PERSONAL and national repentance will happen
B. We are to work toward an ENVIRONMENT for the Lord’s return
• Pictured here as leveling mountains and bringing up valleys
• Driving on Interstates in So. Indiana, Kentucky, TN, WV….. lot of labor to work around mountains to make them passable
• Picture: repentance; to correct our walk with God, help us clear our conscience, and learn to forgive and be forgiven…
“…the Messiah can come only after all the sinners have repented; should he come earlier, the unredeemed sinners would become liable to eternal punishment…” [Raphael Patai, The Messiah Texts, p. 43].
Compare this concept with 2 Peter 3:9 (quickview) , “The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.”
“…The basis of these [Jewish] stories is the belief that it is possible for men of exceptional saintliness to force the hand of God, and that they would have succeeded in making the Messiah come had it not been for interference by Satan, the ancient enemy of God and Israel…” [The Messiah Texts, p. 65]