Summary: If the Spirit of God is being poured out on the end-time church, why is it not operating with more effectiveness? One key element is commitment to the local church. Are we committed to ministry?
Committed To Ministry
* What is God saying to the "end time church"
* As Joel prophesied, in the last days, the Spirit of God would poured out..."
* So why do we not see churches operating with greater effectiveness?
* I believe is in part due to our commitment to ministry
* The mindsets of many believers are this; that the work of the ministry is optional, occasional and/or based upon their convenience
* Churches are struggling to find committed members
* Members are struggling to understand the importance of being committed - it is not taught
* There is great benefit and reward to those who are committed to ministry
KEYS TO BEING COMMITTED TO MINISTRY:
32a Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul;
* Here is an important key to being committed to the ministry - agreement within the ministry
* It would appear they agreed on everything - NOT
* In fact we know that there were many disputes of doctrine, cultural preferences, ministry teams, etc
* However, we read that those who believed were of...
* Col 3:1 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.
* When our focus is upon the furthering the Kingdom and not our own kingdom - we come into agreement
* You won’t agree on everything
* We must agree on our vision, mission & goals
32b neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common.
* 2nd important key of being committed to ministry - they were committed to one another
* They broke down the wall of "self absorption"
* This is when you know that you are growing spiritually; when your concern for your own needs becomes eclipsed by your concern of others’
* They had all things in common - what is mine is thine
* We call ourselves covenant people - do we live up to that name?
* Rom 12:10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all.
* The third key is revealed here - it is not the great power (that is a benefit of commitment)
* They were committed to getting to work (rolling up their sleeves)
* They "gave witness"
* Our principle calling is to "give witness"
* It is the "cause", it is not a "vision"
* Vision is a strategy
* The Cause is the primary goal
* The leadership was committed to the cause
* **My commitment to this ministry**
34 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need. 36 And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles (which is translated Son of Encouragement), a Levite of the country of Cyprus, 37 having land, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet.