Summary: This message is intended to help us evaluate and make changes to, if needed, our communication habits as they pertain to God’s divine purposes.
COMMUNICATION RELATIVE TO DIVINE PURPOSE
A. June Hunt, in her Biblical Counseling Keys on Communication opens with this question: Have you ever paused to evaluate the impact of how you communicate?
1. Folks, if you have not noticed already, communication can be a tricky thing - to say the least, it can be problematic when we try to relate our personal desires, thoughts, and feelings
2. Many of our troubles with friends, family and acquaintances can be directly related to ineffective communication, that is why
3. We have spent some time on Sunday nights exploring communication styles and problems as they relate to man and his relationships, so I hope you are doing better in this realm
B. But this morning I want to look at communication from a different stand point - Communication Relative to Divine Purpose
1. If you have been coming to First Baptist long you should already know the purpose of life – to glorify God, this is why we were created, and then saved
- Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God, Paul stated in 1 Cor. 10:31
2. This being the case it should not surprise us that there is an aspect of our communication should have a divine purpose and be carried out in a divinely orientated manner.
- This may also cause us some problems if we are not aware of them and seek to foster better communication habits.
3. So, in the words of June Hunt I ask you, Have you ever paused to evaluate the impact of how you communicate?
C. Our scripture passage for this morning is found in Col. 4:2-6 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak. Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
1. As I read through this passage I found 4 areas of communication that take on a divine purpose, which can be divided into two broad categories
a. Category #1: God Oriented – Prayer & Witnessing
b. Category #2: God Honoring - Walk & Talk
2. Lets begin with prayer asking God to evaluate our Communication Relative To Divine Purpose and then to help us improve areas we see are deficient.
As we look at Communication Relative To Divine Purpose this morning we will begin by looking at the first category we mentioned
I. GOD ORIENTED COMMUNICATION, Col. 4:2-4 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak. There are two areas I would like to address, the first is
A. Prayer, Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance,…