Summary: This is a "bonus lesson" to the Leaving a Legacy series. We can't really leave a legacy if we stop the journey. The lesson encourages finishing the race and focusing on what is important in the long run.
1. Annette White has written a book entitled, “Bucket List Adventures.” She also has a website that lists 800+ items on her Bucket List. She shows her progress through broad topics with specific actions like:
• Adventure – Catch a wave surfing
• Animals and Nature – Bathe an elephant; Chase a tornado
• Connect and Relationships – Have a meaningful conversation with a stranger
• Creativity – Act in a play
What I noticed on her list was very little spiritual formation activities
2. Do you have a “Bucket List”?
• Make your bucket lists – family; travels; etc. what about in CHURCH/Ministry Arena?
• How many of us are coasting for Christ?
3. We may never achieve our dreams and our dreams for God, but if we don’t try, we will likely accomplish little or nothing –
a. “Failure is not reaching a goal; failure is not having a goal.”
b. Paul’s Goal Philippians 3.12-14 (NLT)
12 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
c. Following Jesus is not about waiting to go to heaven. Ephesians 4.1
I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called,
• Realize you are called by God – you are not here to occupy a pew; just to take in air; God has called each of us to a task beyond us.
• If we are alive, it is because God has something for us to do [Paul Tucker’s prayer: “Lord if you have something for me to do tomorrow, wake me up.” One day He didn’t.
4. The hope of the world is the local church – 3.10 (ESV)
10 so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.
a. We are created to live extraordinary lives – because we have an extraordinary God
b. Christianity is too often predictable and boring – God is neither and wants us to move beyond it
I. The Interferences to Fulfilling Our Legacy
A. A Wrong View of Self
1. Too Low – “Grasshoppers” in Numbers 13.33
a. Some – Humility is thinking less of myself.
b. Actually, Humility is thinking of myself less.
2. Too High – “My Way” in Judges 21.25
3. Correct View – 1 Peter 2.9
9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
B. A Wrong View of People
1. We can stop seeing people and see problems
2. Disciples at the feeding of the 5000 (All we have is five loaves and 2 fish)
3. [In a traffic jam do you see people who need Jesus or an interruption to your schedule?