Summary: In Acts 9:5 Saul said, "Who are you Lord and what do you want me to do?" Those who are truly converted to Christ have a genuine desire to know the Lord and a willingness to obey Him. Many people think they are children of God, but they only pretend to kno
In Acts 9:5 Saul said, "Who are you Lord and what do you want me to do?" Those who are truly converted to Christ have a genuine desire to know the Lord and a willingness to obey Him. Many people think they are children of God, but they only pretend to know the Lord and obey His will.
Saul’s repentance involved a turning toward God and away from sin that involved his entire heart, soul, mind, will, emotions and behavior.
Application: Trust the Lord to help you bring people to a point where their conversion is holistic and not just pretentious.
2. Saulâs conversion came as a result of Godâs initiating love, joy, and offer of eternal life through the forgiveness of all sins. Some people mistaken believe that they can come to Christ as a result of their parentâs efforts, their own education or the inclusion of their groupâs culture.
Saul converted because of God’s direct intervention on the Damascus road.
Application: Pray that the Lord would continually initiate the convicting of the Holy Spirit upon someone you know who needs Christ as their Savior and Lord.
3. Saul’s conversion resulted in a transformation of his perspective, relationships and ministry. For a person to experience a true conversion they have to exhibit the fruits of the Spirit to give evidence of their new birth experience. Jesus said,
Application: "You will know them by their fruit." Ask the Lord to help people realize that conversion is not genuine unless there are visible proofs of the Spirit of God working in their life to give fruits of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.
4. Saul’s conversion was confirmed in Acts 15:12 where Dr. Luke wrote, "Then all the multitude kept silent and listened to Barnabas and Paul declaring how many miracles and wonders God had worked through them among the Gentiles." When a person invites Christ into their life, to be the substitutionary payment for the forgiveness of their sins, eventually Godly people will give confirmation of their new life in Christ.
Application: Trust the Lord that your converts will produce fruits in keeping with repentance so that the Godly elders will confirm, affirm and authenticate their conversion experience.
5. Saul’s miraculous new birth was a gift of God produced by God, Christ and the Holy Spirit working in harmony with one another. Some people wrongly assume that the Holy Spirit and His blessing are added subsequent to conversion. We never get more of the Holy Spirit, He simply gets more control of us as we grow in all aspects into Christ.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you to avoid confusing people by teaching them all the changes that occur to them at the moment of their conversion.
6. Saul’s conversion gave him many eternal and permanent blessings that changed him from the inside out. When Saul trusted Christ as his Lord and Savior he instantly gain the indwelling Holy Spiritâs empowering, faith, hope, love, joy, and enablement. Later Paul wrote,
"For it is God who is at work in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure." (Phil. 2:13)
Application: Ask the Lord to help your converts to recognize all the 41 benefits gain at the moment of conversion stated in Harry Ironside’s book Full Assurance.
7. Conversion happens most often when people are convicted by the power of the scriptures as it relates to their particular felt, real, perceived and spiritual needs. Only when people are willing to open the door of their minds and hearts to the light of truth will they be able to enjoy the medicinal effects of the gospel.
Application: Sadly, many peoplesâ needs go unmet because they are unwilling to ask the Lord for His remedies to their sin sick souls. Ask God to help you present the gospel in a way that appeals to peoplesâ heart felt needs.
8. Conversion can never be half-way. There is no such thing as a half-born baby. When a person becomes a Christian they are a new creation in Christ, the old things are past away and behold all things become new. (2 Cor. 5:17)
Application: Ask God for help in teaching people that conversion cannot be done without a wholehearted willingness to turn from sin to Christ.