Summary: this is a message against being a status quo church--don’t mark a calender change a life
Intro: most people have seen shows on Obsessive Compulsive Disorders. There are a lot of people who have minor problems to some who have major disorders. One such disorder is the desire for everything to be spotless, immaculate, not one thing out of place. Some people clean out of fear of dust, germs or some fungus growing in the house. Our verse today is for any church that has the disorder of wanting a clean house instead of a full one.
Compulsive Clean Church Disorder
Where no oxen are the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox
Point: this is not a theological sermon but a practical one. I almost named this sermon, the cure for the us four and no more church.
1. you can have a clean house if you never invite anyone over—some churches have a motto, more people mean more problems—so let’s keep it small, let’s keep it simple, and let’s not make anyone feel welcomed and maybe they won’t come back.
2. clean churches can develop this disorder, there are only a few of us, but we are the best in town. Wow! It isn’t about a mission into the community or reaching a lost world, it is about we love quality over quanity.
3. clean churches can develop this disorder, the barn is more important than the hay. It is alright to build a nice church, and have a nice building, but when the building turns into a museum and not an outreach post, it has no purpose.
4. clean churches can develop this disorder, we own the house—when you see how many people want control, authority, rights, their uppermost seat in the house, you realize that it has gone from His house to our house.
5. clean churches can develop this disorder, it is easier to maintain the house than to grow it. It takes a lot to build a work for God, so some have chosen to just maintain, just exist, with no goal, no plan, no vision for increase.
6. clean churches will be no churches—in time this church will die. With no vision the people perish. So many churches are closing every day. If there is no new blood, there will be no life.
Close: churches with an open door, an inviting spirit, a desire to grow, a desire to reach out, are those that will survive. Those that want programs, and meetings, and committees, and rights and votes, and everything else except souls, new births, new life will die. I encourage every leader to let Jesus build the church so the gates of hell will not prevail against it.