Summary: We can have confidence in the Holy Ghost, and when we do it will be evidenced by the following three facts.
Confidence in the Holy Ghost
Text John 14:12
Intro: The Christian should always be ready to give an answer as to what he believes in and why. Christians for far to long have been walking on eggshells, worried that one is going to break any moment.
Peter said: “Be ready always to give an answer to every many that asketh you a reason of hope that is in you with meekness and fear.”1 Peter 3:15
· You can stand up as a Pentecostal Christian with full confidence in the Holy Ghost and proclaim without shame that you are in Jesus Christ and what you believe about Him.
· In the world we live gays and lesbians without shame tell us everyday who and what they are.
· John 14:12 (KJV) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
o Did Christ heal the sick, raise the dead, and cast out devils? Yes! And so should we!
o Did He convict and convince sinners and draw multitudes to Him? Yes! And we should also!
· That words “works” refers to mighty acts of power; Christ’s works included:
o Healing all manner of sickness and disease
o Casting out devils
o Raising up the dead
o Cleansing lepers
o Loosing those in bondage
o Setting captives free
o He controlled the elements, walked on water, turned water into wine
o And we shall do greater works that these because He has gone to the Father.
· We can and should have total confidence in the Holy Ghost insomuch as when we pray for something, we claim with confidence that it is done in Jesus Name
Interrogative: When you come to the place in God where you are confident in the Holy Ghost, it will be evidenced by the following 3 "Facts".
I. There Will Be Power and Demonstration
1. 1 Cor. 2:1-5 (KJV) And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. 2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 3And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 4And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
2. Acts 10:44-45 (KJV) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
3. Paul while shipwrecked on the sea told them that the angel of God stood by him last night… Acts 27:20-26
4. Acts 19:2-6 The Holy Ghost falls on the Ephesians’.
II. There Will Be Signs Following Believers
1. Hunters know that when they see certain signs it is a sure indication that the deer has be here recently.
2. Mark 16:17-18 (KJV) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
i. Casting our devils
*Paul cast out demons Acts 16:16-18
*Peter cast out demons Acts 5:12-16
ii. Speak with new tongues
* Upper room
* Cornelius’ House
iii. They shall take up serpents (This is not to temp God)
iv. If they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them. (If forced by their persecutors.
v. They shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover
3. The Book of Acts is filled with outpourings of the Holy Ghost
* Acts 2-Upper Room
* Acts 3- The impotent man
* Acts 4- The Jewish councilors said: “It is a notable miracle that we cannot deny”
* Acts 5- Peters’ shadow passing over
* Acts 6- Stephen full of the Holy Ghost and power did great wonders and miracles among the people.
* Acts 8-Peter and John laid hands on the Samaritans and they received the Holy Ghost
* Acts 9- Paul received the Holy Ghost
* Acts 10- The Holy Ghost fell on people while Peter was preaching
* Acts 12- The Holy Ghost said: “Separate me Barnabus and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them”.
* Acts 19- Paul laid hands on the Ephesians and they received the Holy Ghost