Summary: Are we a thermometer Christian or a thermostat Christian?
I. Illustration--Two items that measure temperature:
1. It measures the temperature of the body
2. It is usually used to check whether a person has a fever or not.
3. Although it reads the temperature of the body, it cannot change it.
1. It measures the temperature of the house
2. It also has the ability to change the temperature of the house
c. Christians can be classified into two groups--Thermometer Christians and Thermostat Christians.
II. Thermometer Christians
a. They are referred to as nominal Christians. They are Christians by name only.
b. Mental and Psychological Dispositions--They are always dependent on the environment in which they are exposed.
1. If the people around them are happy, they are happy.
2. If the people around them are sad, they are also sad.
3. If the people around them are excited by evangelism, they are also excited.
4. If the people around them feel lousy, they also become lousy.
c. Beliefs--They serve only as mirrors of the ideas and concepts of others.
1. If the people around them say that the Ten Commandments are no longer binding, they believe it.
2. If the people around them say that the Sabbath had been changed from Saturday to Sunday, they accept it.
3. If the people around say that you can eat whatever you want, they eat everything they can find.
4. If the people around them say that church is not important or marriage is not important as you love the Lord and you love one another, then it’s good enough for them.
1. Thermometer Christians are less committed to the work of the church.
2. They try to negotiate to the minimum as much as possible.
1. Their wardrobe is full of different apparel.
2. They have different wardrobe for different occasion.
3. They are easily lost in the crowd. They can easily mingle according to the situation.
III. Thermostat Christians
b. Mental and Psychological Dispositions--Instead of being dependent to their environment, they try to change their environment.
c. Beliefs--They are like the Bereans who not only received the messages with great eagerness but also examined the Scriptures every day to see if what has been given to them is according to the Bible. Acts 17:11 (quickview)
d. Commitment--They are the ones who walk an extra mile for the church. They are the ones who would wake up early in the morning to open the church, and they leave last to make sure that everything is in order.
e. Lifestyle--They are the ones that stand out from among the crowd. You don’t need to have a 20/20 vision to recognize them. They are consistent in every way.
f. Other Characteristics:
1. Thermostat Christians are not named Martin Luther, but they defend and stand for their faith like Martin Luther.
2. They don’t have the theological ability of John Wesley, but they sure know what they believe and what the bible teaches.
3. They don’t have the preaching ability of Dwight Moody or Spurgeon, but you can see the light in their lives.