Summary: Part 2 of 4 - Teaching series on Small Groups at NewSong
Part 2 – Connected for Life-Change
NewSong Church – 09/21/08
To watch/listen to this message online go to www.newsongs.org or contact email@example.com.
**NOTE: THIS IS A CONCEPT OUTLINE FOR THIS MESSAGE. GRAPHICS AND MULTIMEDIA ARE AVAILABLE TO SUPPORT THIS SERIES.
The Need to Connect
This morning we are continuing our small-group teaching series “Connected,” which focuses on the purpose of small groups in our church.
Small Group Connection
• Introduce yourself to those around you
• Take a moment to fill out the Connect Card in the bulletin
Rubik’s Cube Community
The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ.
• Many of us live our lives out of alignment - connected, but not in the right place
• When we are connected and in the right place, we become complete.
Why Small Groups?
1. Because life is not meant to be lived alone
2. To help us discover common ground that leads to relationship
3. Allow us to share life the way God intended
Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.
A Church of Small Groups
• Our purpose for small group is to help people become real followers of Jesus.
• At NewSong, we believe this happens best through small group communities
Discussion #1: How can you recognize a “real follower” of Jesus? What should stand out the most?
• Being a follower of Jesus demands life change.
• Life change occurs when you allow the Holy Spirit to lead you through the process of conviction, confession, repentance and transformation.
• We have to have life change in order to be more like Jesus.
• In small group, life change often happens through the people I have built relationships with – relationships that are founded with trust, humility and grace.
As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.
"Christ works on us in all sorts of ways… but above all He works on us through each other. Men are mirrors or carriers of Christ to other men… usually it is those who know him that bring him to others." [C.S. Lewis]
• Do you feel like you are exactly what you want to be?
• Do feel like you are the exact person that God wants you to be?
• What areas are falling short?
• What can you do to change them in yourself? In others?
Discussion # 2: Think of someone who needs life change – what can you do this week to be part of it?
Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.
Discussion #3: How can a small group community help meet your needs?