Summary: THE MESSIAH WILL CONQUER ALL ENEMIES AND FUNCTION: AS KING / AS PRIEST / AS JUDGE
THE MESSIAH WILL CONQUER ALL ENEMIES AND FUNCTION:
AS KING / AS PRIEST / AS JUDGE
NOTE: This is clearly a Messianic Psalm
cf. Christ’s argument in Matt. 22:41-46 -- depends on 2 things being true:
1) that David wrote Psalm 110
2) that David was a prophet writing by inspiration of the Holy Spirit
"How does David call him Lord" -- if the Messiah is merely the "son of David"?
cf. Acts 2:32-36 speaking of the resurrection, ascension, and glorification of the Messiah
at the right hand of God -- speaks not of David but of Messiah, the son of David = "this Jesus whom you crucified" -- "God has made him both Lord and Christ"
1 Cor. 15:24-28 "He has put all things in subjection under his feet"
Hebrews 1:13 shows that Christ is superior to angelic beings
Hebrews 10:11-12 shows the sufficiency of His sacrifice
(:1) INTRODUCTION: PEACEFUL SECURITY OF ANTICIPATING VICTORY OVER ALL ENEMIES
3 people clearly involved here:
1) David -- who wrote the Psalm
2) "The Lord"
3) "my (David’s) Lord"
Ultimate Victory is Assured
Enemies are Real, but not to be feared
our soul should be at peace in Zion
The Battle is ultimately the Lord’s -- not ours
I. (:2-3) MESSIAH AS KING
A. Strength of His Rule = "strong scepter"
1. Originates from Jerusalem (Zion)
2. Extends over all His enemies
B. Loyalty of His People
1. Secure by virtue of His Power
2. Separated from the world in accordance with His Holiness
II. (:4) MESSIAH AS PRIEST
Def. of a priest: one who represents man to God
A. Qualifications as Priest (from Wayne Wever -- Hebrews 5:1-4)
1. has to be a man
2. has to have access to God and be able to offer sacrifices
3. has to be compassionate
4. has to be chosen by God
(Remember: Saul neglected this and was subject to God’s wrath)
B. Distinctiveness of Priesthood of Melchizedek
only 2 priesthoods established by God: Aaronic and Melchizedek
1. Aaronic: reserved for the descendants of Levi; they inherit the office
2. Melchizedek: no record of any progenitors or successors; it is a forever priesthood
He was king over Salem in the ancient world (later called Jerusalem). Heb. 7:1
No record of his beginnings or end
Reign of Righteousness and Peace (Rom. 5:1)
Received tithes from Abraham -- shows his greatness
Melchizedek blessed Abraham
Gave Abraham bread and wine -- possible type of Lord’s Supper?
Part of the message of Hebrews is the Superiority of this Priesthood
"The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind" -- this priesthood is irrevocable
Permanence of this priesthood
III. (:5-6) MESSIAH AS JUDGE
A. No Respecter of Persons -- How the Mighty have Fallen
B. Goal is Punishment Rather than Reformation
(:7) CONCLUSION: REFRESHING TASTE OF ENJOYING VICTORY OVER ALL ENEMIES
A. Drinking from the Brook
B. Lifting up His Head
* * * * * * * * * *
1) If you are to join the Lord in battle against the enemy, how should you prepare yourself?
2) It says in verse 4, that the Lord has made a promise and will not change His mind. Is it ever appropriate to pray for His will to change? Is prayer of this kind by the believer effective and welcomed by God?