Summary: To show that GOD must be worshipped in Spirit and in Truth.
Do you correctly worship GOD? If Yes, You need to worship GOD through and in JESUS CHRIST alone - who is both the Spirit and Truth.
II. AUDIENCE PROFILE:
To show that GOD must be worshipped in Spirit and in Truth.
John 4:24 (Amplified Bible)
4:24 God is a Spirit (a spiritual Being) and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth (reality).
John 4:24 (King James Version)
4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Praise, worship and thank You very much LORD JESUS You are GOD, You are Spirit and I worship You in Spirit and in Truth.
A. Author: Apostle John
B. Date written: uncertain
C. Purpose: To inspire faith in Jesus Christ as the Son of God.—Thompson Chain - Bible Book Outlines
D. To whom written: Seekers, examiners of the life of JESUS Christ
E. Main Theme: An encounter with Jesus Christ demands a response.—Thompson Chain - Bible Book Outlines
F. Keyword: believe
G. Key verse:
John 20:31 (Amplified Bible)
20:31 But these are written (recorded) in order that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ (the Anointed One), the Son of God, and that through believing and cleaving to and trusting and relying upon Him you may have life through (in) His name [through Who He is].
VIII. MAIN BODY:
GOD is Spirit.
GOD or "theos" in Greek which means:
1. the Supreme Divinity
2. figuratively a magistrate - a public civil officer, invested with the executive government of some branch of it. In this sense, a king is the highest or first magistrate, as is the President of the United States. But the word is more particularly applied to subordinate officers, as governors, intendants, prefects, mayors, justices of the peace, and the like.
3. by Hebraism: very, exceeding GOD
Spirit or "pneuma" in Greek which means:
1. a current of air
2. breath (blast) or a breeze
3. by analogy or figuratively a spirit
4. vital principle
5. mental disposition
6. divine: GOD, CHRIST, HOLY SPIRIT
A. In Spirit
"and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit"
Worship or "proskuneo" in Greek which means:
1. meaning to kiss: i.e. like a dog licking his master's hand
2. to fawn or crouch to
3. prostrate oneself in homage (do reverence to, adore)
Example of wrong worship in the bible:
1. Mordecai refuses to worship Haman - man worship
Esther 3:1-2 (Amplified Bible)
3:1 AFTER THESE things, King Ahasuerus promoted Haman the son of Hammedatha the Agagite and advanced him and set his seat above all the princes who were with him.
3:2 And all the king’s servants who were at the king’s gate bowed down and did reverence to Haman, for the king had so commanded concerning him. But Mordecai did not bow down or do him reverence.
2. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego refuses to worship image of King Nebuchadnezzar - idol worship
Daniel 3:11-12 (Amplified Bible)
3:11 And that whoever does not fall down and worship shall be cast into the midst of a burning fiery furnace.