Summary: Third in Series of what it means to really follow Jesus
Counting the Cost of Following Jesus II
Oct. 9, 2005, Luke 9: 57-63
These are my actual notes and sermon handouts and they probably mean more to me than they do to you. If you don’t understand something in my notes – feel free to e-mail me for clarification (email@example.com). Here’s some deciphering hints: I use hyphens (-) to separate key elements in a thought progression. I use quotation marks when I’m illustrating what some one in the congregation might be thinking or asking at that particular point in the message or to illustrate different character voices in an illustration. Bullets are springboards for thought progressions associated with main points in a thought.
INTRO: Talking about following Jesus – it’s important to understand…
Have you been thinking about the cost this past week? – have you been considering whether or not you will to be a true follower of Jesus? If so – that is a good thing – what I was hoping for – what Jesus wants as well.
You are realizing that to follow Jesus is a serious thing – though the cost is not the same for everyone it still costs everyone – everything they are/have
Why would we even want to follow? – we are searching - fulfillment
The cost has been greatly understated by pop-Christianity!
Following Jesus has become so Americanized – won’t bring fulfillment!
Foxes book of martyrs – “good confession”
Disciples – stoned – imprisoned found fulfillment beyond life!
This morning continuing on the theme of following Jesus. Look at 3 would be followers and how Jesus clarified the cost to them…
Represent cross section of many who want to follow or are asked…
• Things we all must be confronted with at some point in our walk –
• Things that should be considered sooner rather than later.
• Will you give your all for the One who gave His all?
• Will you lay down your life for the One who laid His life down for you?
• Will you count all earthly gain as loss to reach toward the heavenly reward?
• Jesus brings those things into stark contrast for us this morning.
On the run up… background – be important later…
LUKE 9:51When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. 52And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make preparations for him. 53But the people did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. 54And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, "Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and consume them?" 55But he turned and rebuked them.[f] 56And they went on to another village.
• Jesus set his face steadfastly – man on a mission – followers – still on a mission – you and I follow.
1. Following Jesus Supersedes Earthly Security
57As they were going along the road, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go."
“I want to follow – I have no idea what that means – but I know that I feel exhilarated around you” – a good exhilaration
ILLUS: Young man at Power Team – raised hand – excited – inspired – but no lasting substance.
Why? – because associated belief in Christ with Madison avenue hype and excitement – if I give my life to Jesus I’ll be cool and muscular like those guys – this was one of the guys who were following Him around all over the place – watching the miracles – listening to the anointed wisdom just rolling off His tongue – man it was exhilarating being around Jesus. I could do this forever – they were like groupies – as long as popularity and excitement was happening – being fed – I’m all for that! – sign me up!
Then Jesus had to go and wreck it… You’re going to follow me? – where?
LK 9: 58And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head."
I have nothing to offer you in the way of earthly security – animals have more than me of this worlds goods.
Are you looking for a home? A place of security and comfort?
• The animals have those more than I do.
• This isn’t a picnic! – not all excitement and exhilaration!
• Jesus is not your “homeboy”
Smacks right in the face of this prosperity gospel stuff.
• Jesus is saying - What your seeing is not the true picture!
• Do not pity Jesus – pity yourself if can’t follow because of earthly possessions.
• Earthly security take second place to following Jesus.