Summary: PROVOKING GOD'S BLESSING
Covenant of Blessing. Genesis 22:17,18
Blessing could be described as follows:
a. It is a divine or supernatural aid or reward.
b. A pronouncement invoking divine aid.
c. It is a good fortune.
d. It is an act of declaring or bestowing favour or approval.
e. It is a thing that makes you glad.
f. It is grace.
All other covenants are about God's blessing. Covenant of fruitfulness, increase (multiplication),long life, and peace. At the end of every divine worship, there is a declaration of God's blessings on the congregation. That declaration is called BENEDICTION.
MASTER KEY TO OPEN DOOR OF BLESSING.
The master key that unlocks the door of blessings lies within the covenant of blessing. Bearing in mind that there are two parties to every covenant, we know that the covenant of blessing is between God and man (us) me and you, and knowing that God is a covenant keeping God (Isaiah 54:10). Now I ask you, does man always keep his part of the covenant? Man is always living in disobedience. It leads to a break in the covenant. When a man breaks the covenant, he is cut off and cursed (Jeremiah 34:17-20)
But when we are obedient to the word of God. When we obey the principles of God, we PROVOKE GOD TO ACTION. He will bless you in your marriage, your family, your business, your children, your going out and coming in. He will bless everything about you. (Genesis 22:16-17)
Abrahams act of giving his own son Isaac in obedience was a symbol of what God did when He gave his son Jesus to die on the cross for our sin, so that we can be salvaged.(John 3:16). There are steps that must be taken to provoke God’s blessing in our lives. These steps are found in the beatitudes in the fifth chapter of the Gospel according to St. Mathew. 7 of the blessing are open to you or anyone who serves both God and your fellow man. But the 8th blessing is for those who suffer for the sake of Christ. The Beatitudes tell you that God’s blessings provide great rewards for the right attitudes he thought you in the Bible.
1. Humble yourself. ‘’ Blessed are the poor in spirit , for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven’’ (Mathew 5:3)
2. Repent of your sins, be sorry and be willing to change for better. ‘’ blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted’’ (Mathew 5:4)
3. Be unassuming and non-egotistical. ‘’Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth’’ (Mathew 5:5)
4. Seek right ways with an appetite for good. ‘’Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied’’ You need to make righteous choices for your own sake. It makes life easier. (Mathew 5:6)
5. Show mercy. ‘’Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy’’ (Mathew 5:7). Show compassion, love one another. There is no love amongst us. It is lacking seriously in this church and it is a big problem. My prayer is that God will have mercy upon us and release to us the Spirit of divine love and compassion. Let me state without fear of contradiction, that there is no love in most of us in this church. There are so many children in this church who want to go to school but simply cannot because there is no body to finance them. Meanwhile we have parishioners who throttle round the globe without sweat. They go to Disney land and others holiday resorts at will. Of what value is all that visits to holiday resorts when there is a much better need to attend to? There are members of this Church who are not on talking terms. They carry on with their enmity even till death and still leave their children to continue their contrived battles. The type of love we share here is the selfish and devilish kind of love that leads to orgy, adultery and fornication. What we need is agape love, the type that made Christ to die on the cross for us. The kind that forgives in love, the kind that is compassionate and kind.
6. Be pure through faith. ‘’Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God’’ (Mathew 5:8) Purity is found by concentrating on and dedicating to and seeking to right what is wrong by God’s will and purpose.
7. Be a peace maker be especially blessed. ‘’blessed are the peace makers for they shall be called the children of God (Mathew 5:9) Peace is a nice idea as long as you get your way, but it’s more than that. It starts at home. Love your wife and children and have personal peace and love in Jesus.
8. Accept persecution. ‘’Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (Mathew 5:10)