Summary: God’s prized creation, man, has a purpose.
Created to Wear a Crown
INTRO: The Sixth Day of Creation
1. God steps out of nothing onto nothing and creates
everything from nothing
a. Evening then day order = Jews recognize a day begins at
6pm not 12 midnight as we do today
2. The days of Creation
a. Day 1. Gives light separating light from darkness
b. Day 2 Separated the elements water & heaven outer space
c. Day 3 Created dry land and all the plant life
d. Day 4 Creation of the Sun, Moon & stars, creating the 24
hour day for earth
e. Day 5 Creation of birds of the air & creatures of the
f. Day 6 Animal life & then crowning act of creation,
*God & Dirt There was a group of scientists who got together one day and decided that man had come a long way and no longer needed God. So they picked one scientist to go and tell God that they were done with Him. The scientist walked up to God and said, “God, we’ve decided that we no longer need you. We’re to the point we can clone people and do many miraculous things, so we just don’t need you anymore.” God listened very patiently and kindly to the man and after the scientist was done talking, God said, “Very well, how about this, let’s say we have a ‘man-making’ contest.” To which the scientist replied, “OK, great!” God added, “Now, we’re going to do this just like I did in the old days with Adam.” The scientist said, “Sure, no problem” and bent down and grabbed himself a handful of dirt. God just looked at him and said, “No…you get and make your own dirt.”
g. Day 7 God rested, that principle remains of rest
3. Animals of various kinds small to large
a. Snails to rabbits, to dogs to sheep to cattle to elephants
1. included monkeys and apes
b. But apparent life appeared in creative leaps boundaries of
1. They are not created of same kind & changed or evolved into
4. Look at the process order: light water, space, down to
planet earth land, various forms of life to the final target
a. Man: the Goal the focus ultimately is creation of MAN
1. The Climax of 6 days of creation is MAN
2. The fossil record reveals man comes last in the order of life
appearing on earth
b. We shall see more of this later both today & next week
I. v26 Who is there, when Humanity began?
A. A Great difference in the origin of man than that of animals
1. Animal life appeared same way plant life, & the fish & birds
a. Same language is used in their creation so evidently
following the same manner of emergence
1. v11 And god said, Let the earth bring forth….
2. v14 Let there be lights in the firmament…
a. v16 God made two great lights
3. v20 Let the waters bring forth….
a. v21 and God created whales…
4. v24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth….
a. v25 And God made the beast….
2. But there is difference note, different atmosphere with man
a. When time for man to be created
3. A Distinct Consultation was held about him v26 “Let us make man in our image. After our likeness…”
4. Immediate Question: To whom is God speaking to?
a. Can’t be another human, aren’t any yet
b. Angels? Not likely the angels will be our servants