Summary: ❶ PLIGHT OF DISORDER ❷ THE WORK OF THE SPIRIT ❸ THE POWER OF GOD’S WORD ❹ God’s Work ❺ Bring Forth Fruit ❻ The Love of God
- Abraham Lincoln the great emancipator of slaves
- Charles Darwin supposed to be the great emancipator of the human mind
- Both born on the same day in the same year February 12 1809
- Darwin studied medicine @ U. of Edinburgh
- 2 years later went to Christ’s College, Cambridge
- Earning his only degree in Theology
- At first he considered the bible had authority
- Friends with Alexander von Humboldt a naturalist & explorer
- Voyage to chart the coast of S. America
- 1831 - Five year voyage
- Alexander von Humboldt was one of the first to propose that the lands bordering S. America and Africa were once joined
- Darwin "He was the greatest travelling scientist who ever lived." – "I have always admired him; now I worship him
- Over the next 10 years turned from faith to science
- By the time he was 40 he had given up Christianity completely
- At 50 (1859) he wrote “On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection”
- In decades to follow he found little solace in life or hope in death
- Died in 1882 at age 73
- Scopes Monkey Trail
- 43 years later Dayton Tennessee - 1925
- Era of the flappers, prohibition, & Jazz Age
> John Scopes HS biology teacher has been charged for teaching evolution
- Scopes was fined $100 & not allowed to teach evolution in the classroom.
- The larger outcome is it showed the nation how ridiculous the limitation on teaching evolution was and brought it national attention resulting in many states changing laws to allow evolution to be taught.
- Darwin’s evolution and anti-Christian beliefs seep into the church
- Remember evolution is just a theory & definitely a matter of faith
My Place In the Universe
❶ PLIGHT OF DISORDER
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. ……
- the earth was without form ….
- Form = ASV waste - No Order
- Nothing in harmony with God’s purpose
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
7 the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.
…. the earth was without form, and void ….
- Only God can produce something out of nothing
- Of itself unable to do any good
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: ….
- Both life & fruitfulness are a gift of God
…. the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. ……
- Without light there is always darkness
- When light comes darkness vanishes
We would be in darkness hand not God commanded light to shine
6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
- To be under sin is to be under the Prince of darkness
❷ THE WORK OF THE SPIRIT
…. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
- The earth may move, but it’s movement cound not fix it
- Repair may be brought about by my efforts
- Regeneration is the work of God (Spirit)
- Not evolution but creation
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
John 6:63 ISV
63It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is useless. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.
❸ THE POWER OF GOD’S WORD
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
- And God said …. and there was ….
- He spake and it was done
Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick (living), and powerful
- Jn 11:43 – Lazarus come forth
❹ God’s Work
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
- The Word of God & the work of the HS working on the new man divides the soul & spirit
- Separates the spiritual & sensual animal lust
❺ Bring Forth Fruit
11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.