Summary: ❶ PLIGHT OF DISORDER ❷ THE WORK OF THE SPIRIT ❸ THE POWER OF GOD’S WORD ❹ God’s Work ❺ Bring Forth Fruit ❻ The Love of God
- Abraham Lincoln the great emancipator of slaves
- Charles Darwin supposed to be the great emancipator of the human mind
- Both born on the same day in the same year February 12 1809
- Darwin studied medicine @ U. of Edinburgh
- 2 years later went to Christ’s College, Cambridge
- Earning his only degree in Theology
- At first he considered the bible had authority
- Friends with Alexander von Humboldt a naturalist & explorer
- Voyage to chart the coast of S. America
- 1831 - Five year voyage
- Alexander von Humboldt was one of the first to propose that the lands bordering S. America and Africa were once joined
- Darwin "He was the greatest travelling scientist who ever lived." – "I have always admired him; now I worship him
- Over the next 10 years turned from faith to science
- By the time he was 40 he had given up Christianity completely
- At 50 (1859) he wrote “On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection”
- In decades to follow he found little solace in life or hope in death
- Died in 1882 at age 73
- Scopes Monkey Trail
- 43 years later Dayton Tennessee - 1925
- Era of the flappers, prohibition, & Jazz Age
> John Scopes HS biology teacher has been charged for teaching evolution
- Scopes was fined $100 & not allowed to teach evolution in the classroom.
- The larger outcome is it showed the nation how ridiculous the limitation on teaching evolution was and brought it national attention resulting in many states changing laws to allow evolution to be taught.
- Darwin’s evolution and anti-Christian beliefs seep into the church
- Remember evolution is just a theory & definitely a matter of faith
My Place In the Universe
❶ PLIGHT OF DISORDER
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. ……
- the earth was without form ….
- Form = ASV waste - No Order
- Nothing in harmony with God’s purpose
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
7 the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.
…. the earth was without form, and void ….
- Only God can produce something out of nothing
- Of itself unable to do any good
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: ….
- Both life & fruitfulness are a gift of God
…. the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. ……
- Without light there is always darkness
- When light comes darkness vanishes
We would be in darkness hand not God commanded light to shine
6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
- To be under sin is to be under the Prince of darkness
❷ THE WORK OF THE SPIRIT