Summary: The life of a leader is filled with challenges and crises. A spiritual leader should be able to navigate successfully through difficult and challenging times and should know how to stand firm when facing critical situations. Leadership ability can be test
Crises and Conflict
Matthew 12:25-30 - But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. “If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? “And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. “But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. “Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. “He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.
Proverbs 15:17 - Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, Than a fatted calf with hatred.
The life of a leader is filled with challenges and crises. A spiritual leader should be able to navigate successfully through difficult and challenging times and should know how to stand firm when facing critical situations. Leadership ability can be tested when negative circumstances prevail. Leaders usually show their true ability and skill when under pressure.
All churches run the risk of experiencing the devastating effect of disagreement, discord, and conflict. However, not all conflict is negative. It can help make leaders stronger and more confident as they successfully deal with challenging issues. Conflict teaches spiritual endurance.
During hard and difficult times, a good spiritual leader will know how to depend on the Lord and to rely on God’s wisdom. Leaders have to become a guiding light to the people they lead and influence.
1. Preventing conflict
Wise leaders will not normally embark on a mission or project unless they are confident of success. With good training and resources, they should be assured of victory even if the unexpected happens.
It is imperative to train and equip leaders and their subordinates in order to excel. A poorly trained team and lack of competence in team members will guarantee failure.
No difficult situation should be tackled with inadequate resources or unqualified team members. This can complicate the situation and waste more time and resources.
However, it must be remembered that a well-trained and well-equipped team can fail if they have poor leadership or if they lack good direction. Good leadership is the key to success. The ideal is to have a well-trained team with excellent leadership.
Good discipline should always be maintained. Lack of discipline among the team members can cause failure. Lack of discipline guarantees confusion and a waste of precious resources.
It is also vital to ensure an orderly chain of command. Clear instructions will ensure success.
A wise leader sets deadlines for everyone involved and should adhere to those deadlines. Apathy, lack of discipline, laziness, distraction, and interference can all lead to a self-inflicted crisis which can lead to disastrous outcomes.
2. Recognize signs of trouble
Leaders will be able to circumvent problems if they are able to recognize potential dangers in an early stage. Some of these problems areas are listed as follows:
* Tension among key people
* Discontented people
* A controlling spirit among leaders
* Losing sight of the vision and becoming more concerned with the daily chores
* Losing the sense of creativity
* Losing the anointing of the Holy Spirit
* Inconsistency in the practicing of Biblical principles
* Violating their own standards
* Unwilling to enforce discipline among employees
* Making major decisions without informing other interested parties
3. How to handle conflict
* Be courageous and face challenges willingly
* Be patient
* Stay focused
* Be fair
* Be willing to listen to others
* Maintain a good reputation
* Be a good communicator
* Refrain from making hasty decisions
* Be truthful
* Look for the best in people
* Recognize demonic assignments
* Allow for human failure and fallibility
* Resolve conflicts as they arise
* Be an encourager
* Relate socially with others
* Recognize and communicate the strengths and weaknesses in subordinates
* Be open to debate and allow others to ask questions
* Be respectful
* Avoid unnecessary meetings
* Deal with negativity, rebellion, and strife quickly and decisively