Summary: PART 2 IN A THREE PART SERIES (THE CROSS) SEVEN SAYINGS OF OUR LORD FROM THE CROSS COMFORT, CONVICT, AND GIVE HOPE.
CROSS WORDS Luke 23: 32-38
I. WORDS OF PARDON (Luke 23:34)
father, forgive them; for they know not what they do
A. Showing His boundless grace
B. If they had known, they wouldn’t have crucified Him.
C. Think you wronged God to much to be saved? (23:47)
II. WORDS OF PROMISE (Luke 23:43)
And Jesus said unto him, verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise
A. Matt & Mark tells they both mocked Him
B. His time spent with the Lord, pricked his heart
C. He testifies of the Lord’s holiness (Luke 23:41)
D. His plea was for mercy
1. He knew he had no hope but divine grace
2. He believed in Jesus’ power over death
3. Christ graciously affirmed his salvation (v. 43).
III. WORDS OF PREPARATION (John 19:26-27)
When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! 27Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
A. Jesus was pointing His mother to John
B. As the eldest Son, He entrusted her to the one who stayed by Him at the cross.
C. Jesus was making preparation for His family
IV. WORDS OF PAIN (Matthew 27:46)
And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken
A. He who knew no sin, became sin for us
(2 Cor 5:21) For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
B. Oh, how it hurts our Lord when sin comes
C. Oh, how we cause His pain with our sin
V. WORDS OF PARCHMENT (John 19:28)
After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
A. Showing His humanity
B. He is the God-man, the Son of God, the Son of man
1. As man He got tired, but as God “come unto me an I will give you
2. As man He got hungry, but as God He feed the thousands
3. As man He got thirsty, but as God He gave living water
4. As man He was tempted, but as God He was tempted without sin
5. As man He slept and as God He awoke to calm a raging storm
6. As man boats carried Him across the sea and as God He walked on
7. As man, He wept at Lazarus’ grave and as God He raised him up
VI. WORDS OF PERFORMANCE (John 19:30)
When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
A. He didn’t say I’m finished, he said it is finished
B. The Greek word is “tetelestai”
1. Used by slaves or servants…when the job was finished
2. Used by priests…sacrifices that were faultless were “tetelestia”
3. Used by artist…when finishing a master piece
4. Used by businessmen…when a debt was paid off
VII. WORDS OF PROSTRATION (Luke 23:46)
when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
A. “He gave up the ghost”---no one took it from Him
B. He didn’t die until He wanted to