Summary: This series focuses on crossing over obstacles, problems, situations, and the like which can impede our walk with God.
CROSSING OVER 1
Scripture: Mark 4:35-41 - “That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?" He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"
Introduction: All of us have had times in our lives when we look around and realize that there are things in our lives that we would rather leave behind. Now I
am not talking about people specifically, even though there may be people that we need to leave behind on our walk with God.
Thesis: All Christian need to “cross over” the past, trials, and pain.
Transition Statement: This passage of scripture can be preached from many different angles – the deity of Christ; the power of God; the lack of man’s faith …etc. But for the next few weeks I know God wants us to look at crossing over – or as Jesus says in the passage “go over to the other side.” Over the next few weeks, can we look at crossing over three things? Those being: the past, our trials, and lastly our pain, hurt, and our shame.
I. CROSSING OVER
A. First – note that Jesus invites people to cross over with Him.
1. It is by Jesus’ initiative that the idea even comes up.
a. Jesus says to them, “Lets go over..”
b. The disciples obviously weren’t thinking of going over.
c. They would have been happy to stay where they were.
2. People are funny.
a. Most of want to mature and grow.
b. Many of us think we are mature in Christ.
c. But many also haven’t left behind the things that keep us from being mature.
1) We got happy where we were.
B. But now let me take a closer look at the language Jesus uses.
1. “Let’s” - It is the imperative form of the word.
a. Never a suggestion – always a command.
b. Any place in scripture (NT) you see Jesus use “Let’s” – it is a command.
c. Jesus isn’t asking our opinion – he telling us His will.
2. It is God’s will that we cross over.
a. If you are going to walk with God, you must follow.
1) Our Spiritual lives stall at the point we won’t follow.
b. Catch that there were many boats besides the Disciple’s boat.
c. We have always thought they crossed alone.
d. If you won’t go – there are many others who will.
II. CROSS OVER THE PAST
A. Sometimes I want to scream………….
1. There is a mindset to the flesh that keeps you prisoner to the past.
a. “I have suffered so badly”
b. It is a fixation on the past – but it is a fleshly glorification of self.
c. It is a refusal to cross over.
2. People with this mindset refuse to see they hold themselves prisoner.
a. The past isn’t holding them prisoner.
b. Satan isn’t either.
c. It is their refusal to cross over.
B. Jesus wants to take us to a different shore.
1. He wants to help us walk away from the past
a. Both the good and the bad.
b. Good can trap you too!
1) Think about some elderly people who only want to tell you their past glory.
2. A different shore means a new place-
a. God is always wanting you to follow to a new place.
b. A higher place – a better place – a place closer to Him.
III. HOW TO CROSS OVER
A. Most people would say – “Yes I want to cross over,
1. Realize that how you think must change.
a. Romans 12:2 – we grow by the “renewing of our minds”
b. The Holy Spirit will help – but you must take the first step.
2. You may not even understand or see this as a problem.
1) Are you still thinking about something that happened many years ago?
2) Are you still holding someone hostage to something that is years old?
3) Do you think that if others knew what you have been though, they would realize that you have a right to feel and think this way?