Summary: ❶ Darkness Smoothers Us ❷ Light Transforms Us
- Photo from space of Earth at night
- Where artificial light is and is not
- Astronomers hate light around them
- They call it Light Pollution
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
❶ Darkness Smoothers Us
The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.
- “The people which sit in darkness
- Who are they?
1. The Ignorant
- America is re-interpreting Scripture
- Just don’t know, the uninformed
- Oblivious of where they are and where they are going
- Unaware of obstacles and the way out
- Life becomes a maze always trying different paths
- Jesus – Jn 14:6
2. The Suspicious
- When there is no light we think strange ideas
- Something is under my bed
- Unwilling to believe
- Sp. we turn to methods of our own making
3. The Endangered
- Risking life & limb when we rush ahead
- So we sit.
- Mt 4:16 sitting in the shadow of death
- Frozen without hope
- In darkness there is not even a shadow
- Psalm 23:4KJV
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Neither said they, Where is the LORD that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, that led us through the wilderness, through a land of deserts and of pits, through a land of drought, and of the shadow of death, through a land that no man passed through, and where no man dwelt?
- Bring into context
4. The Helpless
- It’s gloom of trouble, discomfort, sorrow, fear
- Darkness brings bondage we are helpless without light
❷ Light Transforms Us
- Light Penetrates bring Life, Warmth, Brightness
- The opposite happens with light
- Giving Knowledge, Truth, Security, & Power
- Light gives us joy in belong to him who loved us
- Light gives us hope as we look forward to the promise of an eternal inheritance
- SONG “Pass It On” It only takes a spark to get a fire going, And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing; That's how it is with God's Love
1. Has the Sight arisen upon your heart?
2. Is it shining in your life?
3. Are you doing what you can to communicate it to others
1 Peter 2:9KJV
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
- If so it’s to time celebrate with a thanksgiving feast of love
- Come feast at His table