Summary: David's Threefold Cords
Psalm 27 David's Threefold Cords
Ecclesiastes 4 v. 12 "And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken."
1. David's Threefold Praise - v. 1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation."
1.Praise for the Lord's Personal dealings i.e.
The Lord is:-
(a) My Light There is the:-
(1) Need for this Light - 2 Corinthians 4 v. 4 "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."
(2) Nature of this Light - John 8 v. 12 "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."
(3) Neglect of this Light - John 3 v. 19 - 21 "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."
(b) My Liberation - v. 1 "and my salvation" Psalm 40 v. 1 - 3
"I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD."
(1) David's Prayer v. 1 "I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry."
(2) David's Promotion - v. 2 "He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."
(3) David's Praise - v. 3 "And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD."
(c) My Life - v. 1 "The Lord is the strength of my life."
Philippians 4 v. 19 "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
2.Praise for the Lord's plentiful dealings v. 2 "When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell." -
Guarded him, Guided him, and Governed him
3.Praise for the Lord's purposeful dealings v. 3 "In this will I be confident"
God had chosen him, called him, and kept him
2. David's Threefold Pursuit - i.e. to:-
v. 4 "One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple."
(a) Dwell in God's Presence
(b) Delight in God's Purpose - to behold the beauty of the Lord,
the beauty of his word, of his will, of his way
(c) Discern God's Providence - "inquire in his temple"
James 1 v. 5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
3. David's Threefold Privilege - v. 5 "For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock." - i.e.
(a) Hidden in God's Pavilion
(b) Humbled in God's Presence - "secret of his tabernacle"
(c) Helped in God's Purpose - "he shall set me up upon a rock."
4. David's Threefold Promise - v. 8 - 10 "When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation. When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up." -
The promise of:-
(a) God's Favour - v. 8 "Thou saidst seek ye my face."
(b) God's Fellowship - v. 9 "Thou hast been my help"
Hebrews 13 v. 5 & 6 "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me."