Summary: David's victory over Goliath
Relates to David's victory over Goliath the Gittite.
1. THE LORD'S POSITION O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
1. THE GRACE OF GOD. O LORD our Lord. 1Cor 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. He Is Ours By :- Revelation, Redemption, Realisation. 1 Sam 17:45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
2. THE GOOD NAME OF GOD. (1) how excellent is thy name in all the earth His Name Is:-
A. Excellent in all the earth.
B. Exalted in all of heaven.
C. Extolled in all of the Blood washed. as a personal God. "our God"
3. THE GLORY OF GOD. (1) who hast set thy glory above the heavens. A. Above the heavens. Now the heavens are glorious. The heavens declare the glory of God. They are not the glory of God; they declare the glory of God. His glory is even above the heavens, or higher than the heavens. “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth” (Gen.1:1). According to the Jewish notion there were three heavens,
a. The firmament, as "fowls of the heaven" #Ge 2:19 7:3,23 #Ps 8:8 etc., "the eagles of heaven" #La 4:19 etc.
b. The starry heavens #De 17:3 Jer 8:2 Mt 24:29
c. "The heaven of heavens," or "the third heaven" Ps 115:16 148:4
2Cor 12:2 2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
B. Deeper than the sea.
2. THE LORD'S POWER. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
(a). THE GREATNESS OF GOD. how excellent is thy name in all the earth!
(b). THE GENTLENESS OF GOD. (2) Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength A. The Paradox of God's ways. "babes - strength" 1. Moses - confounded Egypt 2. Samson - confounded The Phlistines 3. Samuel - confounded Eli's sons 4. John the Baptist - confounded Herod 5. Jesus - confounded Death, Hell & The Devil.
B. The Purpose of God's ways. Weak to confound the mighty. "David vs. Goliath"
C. The Praise of God's ways Foolish things to outdo the wise. "enemy overcome"
(c) THE GRACIOUSNESS OF GOD. that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
(d) THE GLORY OF GOD 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
A. The vastness of His Creation. "thy heavens"
B. The minute aspect of His Creation. "work of thy fingers"
C. The marvel of His Creation. "moon and stars"
3. THE LORD'S PRESENCE. 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? God Comes To Us
A. The Pursuit Of Man. thou visitest him
B. The Priority of man. What is man, God Is More Interested In :-
People Than Planets, Souls Than Stars, Us Than Universe.
C. The Position of man. 5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
God Cares For Us
6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
A. The Acknowledging His superiority. "dominion" For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, not a little higher than the beasts Darwin said " man was the most efficient animal ever to emerge on earth."
B. The Authority put in His hands. "all things under his feet" C. The Answer we are expected to give.
God Calls Us.
The Lord Having Created Us, Companions Us, Crowns Us, Calls Us, & Comissions Us
4. THE LORD'S PRAISE. 9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! He Alone Is :-
A. Our Powerful God. " O' Lord" - His Greatness
B. Our Personal God. "our, Lord" - His Grace.
C. Our Praiseworthy God. " excellent is thy name" - His Glory.