Summary: Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
DAY OF DECISION
INTRODUCTION: Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
I. HE REALIZED SOME THINGS
A. That he had a special position
l. God had fixed it, Exodus 3:10 Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.
2. He was to fill it, Exodus 4:16 And he shall be thy spokesman unto the people: and he shall be, even he shall be to thee instead of a mouth, and thou shalt be to him instead of God.
B. That he had a serious obligation
1. To man, Romans 1:14-16 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Romans10:13-14 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
2. To the Master, I Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
C. That he had a spurious objection
1. The unbelief of the people
2. His unsuitable preaching
II. HE REJECTED SOME THINGS
II Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
A. Worldly people
1. Family, Genesis 12:1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
Luke 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
2. Friends, II Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
I Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
B. Worldly possessions, I John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
2. Fortune, Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
C. Worldly pride, Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
1. He was a prince 2. He became a pauper
III. HE RECEIVED SOME THINGS
A. He received a commission
l. A divine one, Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
2. A definite one
B. He suffered affliction
1. Because God's plan was rejected, Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
2. Because God's purpose had to be revealed, Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
C. He received protection
l. It was promised 2. It was provided
CONCLUSION: James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.