Summary: Apologetic sermon on the resurrection of Jesus Christ. (Powerpoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com)
The Empty Tomb – The Facts:
• The Gospel writers
• The Roman Soldiers
• The Senhedrin
• The Jewish people
The Missing Body - Three options
• Fraud (stolen body)
• Swoon (resuscitation)
• Miracle (resurrection)
• Direct evidence
• Indirect evidence
Life of Jesus demands it
The change in the disciples
Existence of the Christian faith
The Implications of the Resurrection
• Key to life’s most important questions
• It shows us which is the true religion
• The cross atoned for our sins
• Proves deity of Jesus
• Jesus is relevant today
• Beethoven died in 1827 and is buried in Vienna.
• Joke: A tourist went to visit his grave and found it a deeply moving experience;
• As they stood looking at the gravestone they could hear music;
• It was Beethoven’s music only it wasn’t quite right, there was something wrong.
• Then the tourist realised that it was Beethoven’s music;
• But it was being played backwards;
• He saw a gardener in the cemetery and asked him what was going on.
• The Gardner replied; ‘O, that’s just Beethoven decomposing!”
• Easter Sunday is a reminder that the body of Jesus did not decompose!
• It was resurrected in glory!
• When Pepsi Cola was first launched in China:
• Its marketing managers wondered why its famous slogan, ‘Come alive with Pepsi,’
• Was not achieving the impact, that it had achieved elsewhere in the world.
• After an investigation it was discovered;
• That the translator had rendered the famous catch phrase as:
• ‘Pepsi brings your relatives back from the dead.’
Transition What Pepsi Cola was and is unable to do:
• God did!!!
• He raised his own Son from the grave.
"Christians believe in a Christ who was dead and is alive,
Not a Christ who was alive and is dead".
Therefore Christians do not meet to together to merely remember the teaching or the memory of Jesus:
• As an appreciation society meet to remember a performing artist:
• i.e. Writer may live through their works (i.e. Shakespeare),
• i.e. Or a singer may live through their songs (i.e. ‘Elvis lives’).
• i.e. Communists remember memory of Karl Marx's (i.e. live through his ideas).
Christians believe that Jesus himself, the historical man of history, is still alive:
• We don't just follow his teaching.
• We don't just follow his example,
• Christians follow him!
The fifth book of the New Testament is called 'Acts' (or ‘Acts of the Apostles’):
• It is the history book of the early Church;
• It is an historical record of the very first Christians & how Christianity spread.
• We find in this book exactly what the very first Christians believed,
• It is history in the making,