Summary: Even thought we can’t ever be justified by the law, our faith justifies that the law is from God!
1. FREEDOM! That’s the banner waving over Romans!
• We are FREE from the PROBLEM OF SIN…
• We are FREE from the PENALTY OF SIN…
• We are FREE from the POWER OF SIN!
• Why? Because Jesus Christ has paid the price in full!
Romans 5:8-9 (NKJV) 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
• That’s what we’ve learned and are learning so far through our wonderful, dynamic study of this wonderful letter!
• These POWERFUL TRUTHS will change your life!
It’s in CH6 that we see the rubber meet the road for us…
• The POWER of SIN in your life has been dealt with!
• The OLD MAN Died with Jesus on the cross.
• So RECKON it to be true, and ACT on it daily!
• Some 2000 years ago your old man, my old man was paralyzed, rendered inoperative…
• We are now free in Christ to live our lives Freely & Fruitfully!
• Since the Problem is sin, the solution is the cross!
YET… there is this unrelenting pressure from the LAW…
• IT stands there to condemn & judge us…
• If it’s not a full blown relationship with the LAW, then it’s the twisted cousin of legalism that bounds up too many today!
• Even though the Law is holy, just, and good, it doesn’t like sin and since we commit sin, the law stands there to condemn!
• THE SOLUTION? Faith in Jesus Christ.
• Look back at 6:14-15
HOW DID I GET OUT FROM UNDER THE LAW?
• You can’t just decide one day to remove yourself from the Law.
• We can’t just say, “Well it’s done away with.”
• Because the Law still exists and it continues to do its job.
• Flip over to Galatians 3:24-25
EVEN THOUGH WE CAN’T EVER, NEVER, EVER be justified by the LAW, our FAITH JUSTIFIES that the LAW IS FROM GOD!
Romans 3:31 (NKJV) 31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.
NOTE: By Faith we are ESTABLISHING THE LAW… for the purpose for which it was created & given:
• It’s a standard of God to point out sin in our lives!
• That’s all the law could ever do. It’s never saved a soul, ever.
• All it could say is “do this and live”. We answer, but we can’t.
• And so the Law stands there to CONDEMN!
THE REAL CHRISTIAN living a REAL LIFE still has struggles.
• And CONDEMNATION only makes them more difficult.
• Because we struggle we sometimes lose our perspective.
• We come to Christ, we receive forgiveness, and we’re excited!
• Our guilt is removed. Our life is new…
• And sometimes we falsely conclude that we won’t struggle anymore. NOT TRUE.
• The struggle only seems to get MORE INTENSE!
• Some have termed this: SPIRITUAL WARFARE.
1 Corinthians 16:9 (NKJV) 9 For a great and effective door has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.
IN FACT, CHRISTIANS have become a target for the devil because by submitting to Jesus Christ, you have declared war on darkness!
• As soon as you say Jesus Christ is my Savior, watch out!
1 Peter 5:8 (NKJV) 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
OK… we understand the battle that we’re in… now what?
• I’ve seen many turn back to the LAW when they struggle.
• They turn to LEGALISM for that sense of comfort.
• I’ll keep all the laws & commandments and be a good Christian.
• Then I’ll become very critical of people who don’t do everything right and to the standards that I AM living my life.
• That’s what happened with the Pharisees.
• Started out so good, but ended up very critical & Condemning.
• That’s what the LAW WILL DO…
• AND ANY OF YOU that came out of a legalistic background know what this is like.
• It’s a burden too heavy to carry! You’re condemned and frustrated and miserable all the time!
• Good news of CH7 is that we’ve been delivered from the Law!
1. (7:1) The Law’s Jurisdiction.
a. Paul turns his attention to the Jewish Christians…
b. The Law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives.
c. Even if you decide to ignore it, it will be in effect.
d. The only way to get out from under the law is to die.
2. (7:2-3) Practical Example.
a. Paul uses marriage as a practical example.