Summary: Even thought we can’t ever be justified by the law, our faith justifies that the law is from God!
1. FREEDOM! That’s the banner waving over Romans!
• We are FREE from the PROBLEM OF SIN…
• We are FREE from the PENALTY OF SIN…
• We are FREE from the POWER OF SIN!
• Why? Because Jesus Christ has paid the price in full!
Romans 5:8-9 (NKJV) 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
• That’s what we’ve learned and are learning so far through our wonderful, dynamic study of this wonderful letter!
• These POWERFUL TRUTHS will change your life!
It’s in CH6 that we see the rubber meet the road for us…
• The POWER of SIN in your life has been dealt with!
• The OLD MAN Died with Jesus on the cross.
• So RECKON it to be true, and ACT on it daily!
• Some 2000 years ago your old man, my old man was paralyzed, rendered inoperative…
• We are now free in Christ to live our lives Freely & Fruitfully!
• Since the Problem is sin, the solution is the cross!
YET… there is this unrelenting pressure from the LAW…
• IT stands there to condemn & judge us…
• If it’s not a full blown relationship with the LAW, then it’s the twisted cousin of legalism that bounds up too many today!
• Even though the Law is holy, just, and good, it doesn’t like sin and since we commit sin, the law stands there to condemn!
• THE SOLUTION? Faith in Jesus Christ.
• Look back at 6:14-15
HOW DID I GET OUT FROM UNDER THE LAW?
• You can’t just decide one day to remove yourself from the Law.
• We can’t just say, “Well it’s done away with.”
• Because the Law still exists and it continues to do its job.
• Flip over to Galatians 3:24-25
EVEN THOUGH WE CAN’T EVER, NEVER, EVER be justified by the LAW, our FAITH JUSTIFIES that the LAW IS FROM GOD!
Romans 3:31 (NKJV) 31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.
NOTE: By Faith we are ESTABLISHING THE LAW… for the purpose for which it was created & given:
• It’s a standard of God to point out sin in our lives!
• That’s all the law could ever do. It’s never saved a soul, ever.
• All it could say is “do this and live”. We answer, but we can’t.
• And so the Law stands there to CONDEMN!
THE REAL CHRISTIAN living a REAL LIFE still has struggles.
• And CONDEMNATION only makes them more difficult.
• Because we struggle we sometimes lose our perspective.
• We come to Christ, we receive forgiveness, and we’re excited!
• Our guilt is removed. Our life is new…
• And sometimes we falsely conclude that we won’t struggle anymore. NOT TRUE.
• The struggle only seems to get MORE INTENSE!
• Some have termed this: SPIRITUAL WARFARE.
1 Corinthians 16:9 (NKJV) 9 For a great and effective door has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.
IN FACT, CHRISTIANS have become a target for the devil because by submitting to Jesus Christ, you have declared war on darkness!
• As soon as you say Jesus Christ is my Savior, watch out!
1 Peter 5:8 (NKJV) 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.