Summary: When we choose our ways over His ways when we choose to follow other gods instead of Him We can expect His displeasure.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
Aug. 25, 2013
DEBORAH: A WOMAN OF CONVICTION AND COURAGE
Intro: The book of Judges is a gritty, dirty book.
• Filled/sin, violence/judgment of God.
• Action book/appeals more/men than women.
• A modern counterpart/action/war movies men find far more appealing than/romantic comedies preferred/ladies.
Book/Judges actually elevates/position/women/Israelite society.
• Chapters before us today
• Introduced/two women used by God in great ways, for his glory.
• Deborah and Jael.
• One/respected leader/nation—other/simple housewife.
• Different walks of life/both used/God/remarkable ways.
I want/move thru chapters 4-5/point out some facts that present themselves in this tale of sin, judgment, war, faith, and victory.
I want you to see:
• How God used a courageous, faithful woman to deliver His people from bondage and oppression.
• that God is still using women for His glory every single day.
Let’s walk through these verses together and meet Deborah: A Woman Of Conviction And Courage.
I. v. 1-3 THE SPIRITUAL MELTDOWN IN ISRAEL
These verses describe the horrible spiritual conditions that existed in Israel during the time if Deborah.
A. v. 1 Their Corruption
After Ehud delivered Israel from Eglon/Moabites, the land had rest from war for 80 years
• As long/Ehud lived/judged/nation/People followed God served Him.
• Ehud passed from/scene/People returned/sinful ways.
We are told that they “again did evil in the sight of the Lord” Judges 5:8 says, “They chose new gods”.
• Turned their back/God/salvation/followed/gods/Canaanites
• A spiritual void/their lives/they walked away from/Lord.
Children/Israel/picture/what we see all too often/our churches.
• People will follow God for a while
• then when there is a spiritual void in their lives
• They turn away from God and seek their own ways.
• Caught up in the world.
• It is because someone said something?
• Sad when we base our faith/those around us/not on/Lord.
• Our faith should be in God/not in any man.
This kind of thing happens when believers get their eyes on men and not on the Lord, Heb. 12:1-3.
• We need to be very careful!
• old enemies from/past will rise up when you least expect
• That sin you thought was conquered will defeat you if you give it an opportunity!
• You aren’t safe until you get home to glory and are delivered from this flesh, Rom. 7:14-25; 1 Cor. 10:12.
B. v. 2 Their Chastisement
• Israel rebelled against God
• He responded/giving them over/their enemies/punishment.
• The Bible says He “sold” them.
• God abandoned them/life they chose for themselves.
• They paid a terrible price for their rebellion.
• They were literally driven/their highways/their homes.5:6