Summary: Part 1 in a series that reveals the truth about the Da Vinci Code novel (and movie) by author Dan Brown. Book stats, polling data and quotes from other authors (credited) used in this fast paced expose.
Decoding Da Vinci - Part 1
1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.
1Pe 3:15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. (NIV)
In today’s culture consumption world, Peter’s admonition is vital to our ability to effectively share the Gospel. Meekness and Fear - Gentleness and Respect must be our platform, our Credo for Evangelism, or we stand to lose. We may not lose the argument, but we will certainly lose the hearts and minds of those we are reaching for.
Today this is especially true when dealing with a controversial subject like The Da Vinci Code. A book, now a major movie, and certainly the talk of the town for the foreseeable future.
And Christians should be talking!
I like the way Paul puts it in Ephesians 5:16:
Eph 5:16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. (NIV)
And what an opportunity it is! This book is a World wide phenomenon!
Consider these facts:
1. The Da Vinci Code has sold more than 40 Million hard-cover copies since its release in 2003, becoming the best-selling Fiction book EVER. And the paperback is still to be released.
2. As such, it remained Top Ten on the New York Times Best Seller list for over two years.
3. The book has been translated into more than 40 languages worldwide and is a big hit in England and Australia.
4. The Author, Dan Brown, was recently named one of the world’s one hundred most influential people by Time magazine.
5. And, as already mentioned, it has become a major motion picture starring Hollywood icon Tom Hanks, and directed by Ron Howard.
The fact is, if you haven’t read it, you probably know many people who have.
This is what people are saying about The Da Vinci Code:
"It nearly made me lose my faith."
"It’s just a novel."
"It shows that the Bible can’t possibly be accurate and that the text was changed."
"It made me question everything."
"The book is true or it couldn’t be printed."
"While the book is ’fiction,’ one can’t help but believe much of it."
These are just samples of overheard responses to the book. To be fair, not everyone who reads the book buys into Dan Brown’s agenda. And let there be NO DOUBT, there IS an agenda. But Barna Research Group, a Christian Data and Polling Organization recently found that a surprisingly small percent of people actually changed their views after reading The Da Vinci Code.
According to Barna Group:
1. The Da Vinci Code has been read "cover to cover" by roughly 45 million adults in the U.S. - that’s one out of every five adults (20%).
2. Of those readers, 24% said the book was helpful in relation to their "personal spiritual growth or understanding." That means about 11 million adults considered The Da Vinci Code a helpful spiritual document.
3. Only 5% - about two million adults - said they changed any of their beliefs or religious perspectives because of the book’s content.
Of course, that is still a significant statistic. That’s more people than will change any of their beliefs today in all of America’s churches combined.
4. Finally, they found that the most likely people to change their beliefs because of The Da Vinci Code were Hispanics, women and liberals.
Folks, what’s at stake here? Bottom line: SOULS. The truth is not in danger. It can’t change because it’s not relative or subjective.
Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
An old bumper sticker read: "God said it, I believe it, that settles it." The fact is, "God said it, and that settles it, whether you believe it or not!"
But the enemy knows that faith, the faith that saves, comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. So he attacks the Word. This is nothing new! All the way back in the garden, it was the same tactic. "Has God really said?..." has been the catcall of Satan throughout the ages. If he can get you to doubt what God has said, then he can get you to do what he wants you to do.
2Ti 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
2Ti 2:26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.