Summary: A overview of this chapter tells us of the healing power, the forgiving, the saving power of the Lord, Jesus Christ.
Denied Desired Killed
This will come from a overview of verses 1-11 of Acts 3.
There was Three (3) sins of Israel in this Chapter found in verses 14-15
1. They DENIED the Holy One
2. They DESIRED a murder
3. They Killed the Prince of life
~These 3 things happening causes Peter to rise up and preach Vs. 12
1. THE POWER OF JESUS’ NAME Vs.14-15
Not only is there power in the person Jesus Christ, but His is also able to…
Power over Nature…Luke 8:25
Life Giving Power…John 17:12
Wonder Working Power…Acts 10:38
Saving Power…Isa. 63:1
~This same Jesus has the power to do all the above, but here in verse 16 we see just his
name has power to heal a lame man.
~We do not see that Christ was there with Peter and John in the flesh, but just the
mention of his name was able to heal this man.
**Notice the word (perfect) in Vs. 16. This is a Greek word meaning “wholeness”.
~When Christ saved you from sin, and you felt the touch from the Lord, didn’t you feel
2. THE CRUCIFIXION OF JESUS FULLFILLED THE PROPHETS Vs. 17-18
**Peter began to preach to them all that had happened to Christ that He would suffer and
fulfill all the prophecies of the Old Testament.
Isaiah 53 tells the story of the suffering of Jesus. Vs. 4-7 tell the story….
4. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
~Because of this happening we can get to point 3 “national restoration”
3. NATIONAL RESTORATION Vs. 19
~Peter goes on to tell them of the suffering or Christ in point 2, then he goes right into
giving them the opportunity to accept Christ and have there sins forgiving.
If they repent they could….
A. Be Converted
B. Sins Blotted Out
~Peter tells them this with urgency. For Christ is coming back, and we need to be ready..
4. THE SECOND COMING OF JESUS Vs. 20-21
I Thessalonians 4:13-18 says…
But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.