Summary: Evolution Series, part of Dates, Deluge and Dinosaurs. Proofs of the flood, including proofs from Dec. 26, ’04. Powerpoints/notes for entire series at website.
Devilution, Pt. 8—Dates, Deluge, and Dinosaurs
Powerpoint for this and hundreds more free sermons at our website:
I. Dates…This was the 1st question, next…
II. Deluge...(THE EVIDENCE FOR A GLOBAL FLOOD)
• A second question often asked of the creationist is the question of a global flood.
• Genesis 6 and 7 clearly record a global flood that God brought upon the earth as an act of judgment against men’s rebellion and sin.
• Time will not allow me to give you much detail here, but there are 3 or 4 things I want to say about the flood.
1. The Bible clearly describes a GLOBAL flood, not merely a LOCAL flood.
a. There are some today who want to compromise the scripture, and simply describe this as a local flood, covering only a very small region where Noah lived. [his “world”]
b. That clearly is not what the Bible is talking about. It describes a flood that covered all the high mountains under the heavens (Gen.7:18) And a flood that killed every thing that breaths through it nostrils [allergies?] on the earth, (Gen.7:22)
c. You clearly cannot make a local flood scenario fit the biblical text.
2. There is strong HISTORICAL evidence supporting the flood.
a. Do you know that archeologists have discovered 250 different flood legends from 250 different ancient cultures.
b. There are 33 primary ancient cultures that have been discovered:
• 33 of 33 have a flood tradition.
• 31 of 33 have a common tradition that the flood was globally destructive.
• 32 of 33 say man was somehow divinely saved in the flood.
• 30 of 33 say there was some kind of special provision made for the animals.
• 25 of 33 describe an ark or boat landing on top of a mountain.
• 29 of 33 describe a bird being sent from the boat to find land.
• 30 of 33 describe a colored arch as a symbol of divine favor.
NOTE: Isn’t it interesting that today the rainbow is used as the universal symbol of gay activism. How perverse we have become. We not only have sunken into moral debauchery, we actually flaunt it in God’s face, using the symbol of his holy covenant as a symbol for mankind’s sin.
• 31 of 33 say the first thing the people did when they landed on dry ground is to worship God...(I SHOULD THINK SO!!)
c. There are two laws or principles of historical analysis that I think we need to recognize at this point:
(1) It is commonly understood that if isolated people groups have the same tradition in their stories, this reflects a common ancestry.
(2)It is commonly understood that when widely separated people groups have the same tradition in their stories it must reflect some historical occurrence.
d. This is why I say there is strong HISTORICAL evidence supporting the event of a global flood as described in the Bible.
(Information above taken from tape series, Somebody’s Trying To Make A Monkey Out Of You)
3. There is strong GEOLOGICAL evidence supporting the flood.
a. Again, take a look at such geological evidences as the Grand Canyon. Scientist tell us it took billions and billions of years to form under the erosion effects of the Colorado River.