Summary: Deals with the dangers and some helps regarding pornography
1. Title: Dirty Little Secrets
3. Audience: Villa Heights Christian Church, AM crowd, Sunday, Feb. 25, 2006, 6th in the series “A Clear and Present Danger”
-for the people to understand the dangers and prevalence of pornography, the way it affects us all, and what we are to do about it
-for the people to feel threatened by the potential harm of pornography, concerned for those who are hurt by it, and confident that with God’s help we can make advances against it
-for the people to give up, get away from, and help others stay away from the danger that is imposed by the “pornification” of our world
5. When I finish my sermon I want my audience to be much more aware of the influence of porn on modern worldviews and to actively engage in squelching it among us and helping others outside us to be victorious over it.
6. Type: topical
7. Dominant Thought: Like any other addiction or temptation, the destructive potential of pornography can be overcome with the Lord’s help
Intro: Proverbs 7:21-27 …with persuasive words she led him astray; she seduced him with her smooth talk. All at once he followed her like an ox going to the slaughter, like a deer stepping into a noose till an arrow pierces his liver, like a bird darting into a snare, little knowing it will cost him his life. Now then, my sons, listen to me; pay attention to what I say. Do not let your heart turn to her ways or stray into her paths. Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. (pray)
I have an interesting audience where this subject is concerned this morning. Put yourself in my shoes for a moment and consider who I’m addressing: statistically, in a crowd this size, of, yes, Christian people, I’m speaking to the following: there are most likely some this morning who are…
• skeptical that pornography is a problem. They may not use it themselves, and they don’t think it’s a big deal or that we have any right to impose our values on others. Then there are some who engage in it, and in order to do that, they may perform some mental gymnastics to rationalize their actions. Some may even be open about their use of it. They haven’t been to me. (Maybe after this morning they will be.)
• spouses of those who use it. You may know it. You may not.
• Too young to really understand what this is all about, and I hope your parents will make sure to deal with that in an age-appropriate way.
• Addicts. Just like a drug or alcohol problem, like an addiction to nicotine or to gambling, there will most likely be some here this morning who have a problem with pornography to some degree – college students, high school boys or girls, middle-aged people, any age group, and they’re struggling with it.
• Parents and grandparents of kids who are currently being bombarded with this stuff we call pornography.
Pornography is a clear and present danger. It’s a threat to our current generation unlike it has been any time before. That’s because our society has become more shaped and driven by media more than ever.
In a 1965 anti-pornography short-film, George Putnam says that high speed presses, rapid transportation, and mass distribution were disseminating pornography at a rate unlike anytime before. I wonder what he says now about the internet.
Testimony by Jill C. Manning - …technology socially organizes opportunities for viewing pornography. In the 1970s, film was the contemporary means through which pornography was consumed; in the 1980s, videotapes reorganized the viewing arena; and in the 1990s, the Internet revolutionized pornography consumption to the point that some have even touted it as the catalyst for the next sexual revolution. More recently, the cell phone has become the up and coming medium for pornography.
I need to say this before I get any farther: Sex isn’t dirty. God created it. He created us in such a way that a part of our identity is sexual. There’s even a book of the Bible that describes and praises the goodness of right sexual relationship. What’s wrong with the whole subject is what has been done with it. A few decades ago, this wouldn’t have even been talked about openly. Today we have to.
So, I want to address this subject based on where you might be this morning.
I. If You’re Saying Pornography is OK, Get Honest
I wish I didn’t even have to make this point, but I’m guessing it’s necessary.